Average adult height

abclements

5 Year Member
This might be a weird question, but I'm starting some planning on an indoor enclosure for Franklin that will last him the rest of his life (obviously it will be a winter habitat only).

So I'm trying to get a good idea on how tall I should make it, taking into account lights, heat dishes... you get the point. So if you could measure your full grown RF and post how tall they are, that would be awesome! Thanks!!

gustaf

5 Year Member
My redfoot is still a juvenile so im not much help but if you design it in such a way you can raise and lower the lights you will be golden. This way you wont have to stress because as your tort gets larger you can just raise the lights a little at a time, or lower them if need be... just build in plenty of adjustability.

abclements

5 Year Member
That's a good idea but the ceiling in a closed chamber is the limit of height, so I'm trying to figure out how tall I need to make the ceiling

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I've always heard to go twice the length of the shell. So if a tortoise is 12 inches SCL, then the enclosure should be 24 inches tall.

abclements

5 Year Member
That sounds like a good way to go, so a 36" tall enclosure is plenty for a RF then! Perfect thanks!