Average Annual Budget for a Russian Tortoise

acthereptilian

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I just joined this forum, and have been wanting to have a tortoise for so long, Russian is my top pick so far, I've read they are the best for first-timers. Anyway, I want to be prepared before I get one, so does anyone know the average annual cost to have one? Answer is appreciated if early, thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No I don't. However, if you brumate them for winter, about 2-3 months, it will be cheaper.
The initial expense is the biggest one. Tortoise, Lights, heat, proper enclosure, substrate, etc. if you get a hatchling, you then have to upgrade the enclosure once it grows to adulthood, which would be around 3 years or so.
If you grow a lot of their food, broad leaf weeds, it's cheaper than if you have to buy grocery greens and then weed/flower leaf additives to make the grocery greens complete.
If you get them outside for sun 3 times at least a week, you don't need uvb light.
All kinds of things play a part in the cost.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome!🐢💚

I can’t really answer to annual cost, but there’s electrics to consider, if anything ever goes wrong vet bills can be expensive, but providing you’re set up and diet is correct with him you shouldn’t ever have to worry about that, they aren’t the kind of pet you need to take for check ups for the sake of🙂then obviously there’s the food, which again can be virtually free if you’re prepared to mainly grow your own!

Your biggest spend is going to be getting him set up properly, with the right lighting and heating, tbh the uv will be one of the main spends, generally the uv we recommend for the time we say to have it one for, needs replacing every 2 years or so, potentially longer but the only way to know for sure is to have a uv meter, which are also kind of expensive, but not a bad investment.

Babies might be considered more expensive to set up cause you have to account for ways to make it a closed chamber and upgrading, though there’s cost effective ways to go about it🙂

Give these threads I made a read for the housing side of things, I cover correct equipment, levels, sizing, appropriately maintaining humidity, there’s lots of visual examples for everything and a good diet link to check out! They are very similar threads, but humidity is the key difference when it comes to babies.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/housing-young-russian-herman.217806/

This one is also really good to familiarise with, especially as this is all new to you, it’ll help you avoid the wrong bulbs, substrates, housing etc, I also encourage you to double check things here before you buy!

These are also a good read with a bunch of helpful information🙂

Hope this helps! More questions always welcomed🐢💚

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Greetings from LA! Once you get them a good healthy setup - that's where the major expense is going to be.

What part of CA are you in? The good news is you can get pretty much year round edible foods for them in many (most?) places of CA.

you don't need to give specifics, but general town/area would be helpful.