Awake and on the move Shelly's first hibrenation

gurgleblaster

Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte
I decided to let Shelly hibrenate this year as it just seemed like her internal clock demanded it. I let the temperature drop in her enclosure and set my thermostat. To keep a constant temperature and not let it drop to low. Her enclosure is raised off the ground with an oak base and plastic lining. The soil runs about 8" deep before the rock substrate. So plenty of room for her to dig and tunnel after she found her spot I enclosed it to keep any potential threats away from her and to allow for easier temp and humidity control.

She did phenomenal and today after many weeks was her waking day. Plenty of organic home grown greens planted and ready to much on her waking. She had a huge *** yawn and went to exploring her surroundings. Happy new year shelly

Attachments

• PXL_20210118_225441053.jpg
    PXL_20210118_225441053.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20210118_225359315.jpg
    PXL_20210118_225359315.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Hi there. I’m no expert and don’t know much about tort brumation. But I am curious...
why would you wake her up in the middle of winter?
Shouldn’t they naturally brumate until spring...

gurgleblaster

Charlotte
First hibrenation is relatively short 4-5 weeks and my enclosure is temp controlled so seasons don't really effect it to much. Some people prefer not to hibrenate though. I think from what I read also the idea of short time period for first time is to minimize mistakes so you don't have an accident. Which would be bad.