AZ Tortoise keeper's almost-anything-goes thread

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Me personally I use good fertilizer and lots of water especially with hibiscus :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I use compost tea as a fertilizer it's all natural and great for the soil. Cause a lot of fertilizers and salt to your soil and here in AZ we have a lot of salt already in our soil . Have a great tort day :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I use compost tea as a fertilizer it's all natural and great for the soil. Cause a lot of fertilizers and salt to your soil and here in AZ we have a lot of salt already in our soil . Have a great tort day :)

Where is a good place to get this?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You buy it at most nursery but you cane make it your self compost is decomposing greens, leaf matter , and junk mail . Put a large shovel full in a Rubbermaid tub of water let it sit over night . And then water with that .

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Ok, AZ peeps, how on earth or at least in AZ, do you grow beautiful flowers and weeds!? I don't have the greenest thumb, but am willing to learn!!

You grow native plants, that would grow here anyway. Low maintenance, low water, wont freeze, wont burn up. Lots of them are tortoise edible. Search for plants that native Sonoran tortoises would eat. Your tortoise can eat them too, as part of their diet.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
How much fertilizer do you use? How often?

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
How much fertilizer do you use? How often?

That varies depending on what you are fertilizing, and what you are using as a fertilizer. As far as growing tortoise food, you want to use more natural fertilizers like composting your own yard and tortoise wast.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
If I'm growing a testudo seed mix and using compost, how often would I apply the compost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would mix the compost into the soil before seeding. Make a tea or water in some fresh compost once a month. You can make adjustments later.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What a rain storm, almost two inches in one night. 4 out of five burrows stayed nice and dry. The fifth burrow was just a temporary summer burrow. A new one will be built for the winter on much higher ground. There are tortoises wading all around. They all have high dry places to go to but keep venturing out into the standing water funny to watch.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
My kidlets are spending the day inside today. They showed absolutely no interest going out. I think they are even takin a nap right now! Boy what a life :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm in Chandler and apparently we were one of the worst hit areas. Something like 5.5" of water in less than 10 hours. There are people canoeing in the green belts by my house.

The tortoises got soaked, but the weather is good for them. It'll keep them hydrated and the temperatures will be cool enough to keep them active all day.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Alright AZ tortoise owners it's time to batten down the hatches. It looks like we are due for a repeat of last week starting tomorrow and lasting through Friday. Your older tortoises should be just fine in the rain, but it might be a good idea to cover up holes and burrows and secure younger tortoises. I know I'll be raising the tortoises houses tonight so they're several inches off the ground.

Good luck and enjoy the rain while we get it! :)

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I hope we get pounded again, lots of free tortoise food with lots of rain.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I'm trying to shake it off, but it's not working. Phoenix area folks, hoping one of you can rescue a "DESERT TURTLE". It's a craigslist ad for a Large Desert Turtle with no picture. I'm worried it's a neglected tortoise (since they used the term Turtle) and have no time for it, I hope I'm wrong. Oddly, there was nearly the same ad, but with pictures, about 2 weeks earlier by a different person. Thinking this could be one and the same tort and if so it's gone from $260 to $300. There is no point in my calling to inquire as I have no room here for any additional Torts or Turtles, no matter how badly I'd like to help.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/for/4687285152.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/for/4649636350.html

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am in the same boat. Working to set up for winter the tortoises I am already committed to. Do your self a favor and don't look at torts on CL.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Motero, you are so right! I just took myself off restriction for 11 years of not watching 24 hour news channels because they weren't helping lower my stress. I honestly was looking for Turtle and Tortoise statues and such for yard decor, but you're right I need to restrict myself from searching craigslist on that topic. Ugh, tummy doing flips.