AZ Tortoise keeper's almost-anything-goes thread

jskahn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wickenburg, AZ
I sharpen tools, I sharpen for ace hardware, groomers, vets and the saddelries.
When I was grooming, I could never find a clipper blade sharpener. I have known Bret for 24 years, he is a good guy.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The pet store in Wickenburg has a large female Redfoot tortoise. Kept out side with no heat. She could use a good home. There are other sad stories at this place, but she is the only one I though, might be of interest to some one. She is pyramided but not to bad and over ten inches long.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
I will try to check her out. Hopefully, as low as our temps have been, she is still salvageable.At least I will try to convince him of the wrong of keeping her outside. I don't believe Redfoots do well in AZ, I have tried twice, and they never seemed real happy.The only way I have seen them do good out here, is in a humid greenhouse, but if he doesn't want too much for her, I would buy her for now.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
She looked ok just cold. But she wont be ok for long. He also has a sick ornate box turtle. A very pretty female sonoran. And three male sulcatas. If you or anyone helped out any one of them that would be amazing.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
I just came back from there. I made him take the Redfoot inside. Actually, she seems healthy and heavy, but I didn't see her completely out of her shell.I think if someone wants a nice female, they ought to grab her. If you go in there, tell Wayne, Joe told you about the Redfoot. I am sure he would sell her for $150., or less.She is slightly pyramid, but looks like she will be a really good breeder.I got him to put the small redears in deeper water, and explained to him, that water turtles can not eat on land.I advised him how to treat the Ornate's eyes. He seemed to be interested to learn, but who knows. I left him my phone number to call, if he has questions.

Last edited:

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Somebody ought to buy her. The price is right, and I think she should have a safe home.He listened, but, we will see.I am surprised that someone in Phoenix who keeps Redfoots, has not responded.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Like you said our climate is not that Redfoot friendly. There just aren't that many Redfoot keepers in Phoenix. May be we can cross post this on the for sale forum? Moderators?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I brought the female Redfoot home, I just couldn't let her die. I called on Saturday to see if he was open, he was, so I said i would be over in a while. The tortoise was in a tub, that had just been washed out, inside his reptile room. She was stone cold she had obviously been out side over night and he just brought her in because he knew i was coming. On the plus side she looks like a cherry head and has some marbling in her shell.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I'm really glad you picked her up. I would love to have her, but my husband would kill me if I took on another tortoise, since I have 3 sullies. Especially here in Phoenix

parrotlady

5 Year Member
So glad you picked her up. I was tempted but was to far away in Tucson. If you decide to let her go let me know. I have a small group of cherry heads and a group of red foots. It is a lot of work to create a suitable habitat in Az. They do well here. Just need to run misters on timers to keep the humidity high enough for them.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
That is great to hear. I figured he brought her in only to shut me up.A lot of locals have filed complaints about him.He keeps way too many animals to properly care for them.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
She ate today for the first time, after trying every thing I had on hand over the weekend with no luck. Today she ate some bell pepper and she will come running for Banana. We are naming her Ruby.

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
She ate today for the first time, after trying every thing I had on hand over the weekend with no luck. Today she ate some bell pepper and she will come running for Banana. We are naming her Ruby.
That is great to hear. Good job motero

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Does anyone know an EASY way to de-thorn prickly pear cactus to feed torts? My property is loaded with them, but the ones I have are not spineless.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Scrap them with a really sharp knife