B-TFO-1 aka Chelonian History V

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Thanks, Will. I am in this "tortoise keeping" more than just because I think they are "cute" and I'm a vet tech and I rescue everything I see. No, like my dogs...basenjis...I am very interested in the history as well. Tortoises have been around since the Triassic age. Basenjis are, arguably, the only breed references in the Bible. Regardless, Basenjis are one of the six original breeds. The canine Genome Project proved that, and several of my dogs (my breeding) are involved in that research project...not to mention the 500 or so blood draws I performed at the 2003 Basenji Nationals and shipped to the lab involved in the study.

I've always been a very active participant in any research project aimed at improving my breed, it's health and it's history. Tortoises are no different.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Sandy, this is a very thought provoking post. The assocoation with dogs makes is super apparent.

Studying the animals themselves over time is evolutionary studies whether biology or ecology, while studying what has been studied about the animals, published accounts from a long period of time, is also a study of human perspectives.

That is an excellent point.