Babcocki leopard growth progress...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
At six months old, I thought I'd make a thread with the monthly growth progress. My other thread is too big and cluttered but it can be seen here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-54700.html

1 month old:

D4kwZ.jpg

9bP5P.jpg

uQuIm.jpg

2", 40 grams

2 months old:

Y8l5R.jpg

Month 1: 2", 40 grams

Month 2" 2 1/2", 64 grams

3 months old:

tKZVZ.jpg

xhXey.jpg

Month 2: 2 1/4", 64 grams

Month 3: 2 1/2", 88 grams

4 months old:

hpM9f.jpg

Month 4: 2 3/4", 133 grams

5 months old:

z1a0D.jpg

cwCJa.jpg

mptOY.jpg

hWQYZ.jpg

jHxGN.jpg

Xf0eN.jpg

Month 5: 3 1/2", 173 grams

6 months old:

34ta5h3.jpg

28mg2dj.jpg

2w6zazp.jpg

6i4n5y.jpg

5WYjhAI.jpg

Month 6: 4", 226 grams

By the way mods, I wanted this to be six separate posts, one for each month, so if people quote it we won't get a ton of pics. For some reason they all merged into one post. Can someone fix this and make each month a separate post? Thanks.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
wow, he's growing like a weed! It is really cool that you have this all documented because it will be great information for others to learn from.

He also looks great! You are doing a fabulous job :)

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I love this thread. It makes us easier to track his growth and he's grown to be a good looking leopard.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks, Greg and YT. I was surprised at the 53 gram gain last month, since it was the coldest month of the year and I didn't think he was eating as much.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Jason this is a great post. I like that it all runs together, easier to follow the growth without a lot of comments in between. And WOW what a beautiful tort. You are doing a great job. Such even and smooth growth and beautiful colors. :cool:

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Its been said before but...,Great job, beautiful Leo!! Great thread:)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Very happy that you put this up. What a fantastic specimen to observe. Please continue to keep us updated. Is it looking male or female yet? I know its still young but have you seen any signs pointing toward what it might be?

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Wow, your leo grows at like double the rate than my leo! Amazing growths.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks everyone! I like the way the growth is alternating between white and black. Can't wait until he/she's a year old...won't be long.

I can't take full credit. Mother Nature has a lot to do with it. He's still on the shy side, but I'll work with him this summer. I haven't done any handling at all so far aside from soaks and the monthly measurements. I'm trying to minimize stress during the first year. I know how stress can affect an animal mentally and physically.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WOW! my lil guys are 12/18 months old and neither one of them have hit the 140gm mark yet and yours gained almost 100gms in 2 months! what are you feeding? Growth like that would make a Sulcata proud!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Zamric said:
WOW! my lil guys are 12/18 months old and neither one of them have hit the 140gm mark yet and yours gained almost 100gms in 2 months! what are you feeding? Growth like that would make a Sulcata proud!

LOL. I've only fed spring mix, romaine/kale/collards, cactus pads, a little moistened timothy hay, Mazuri, and calcium powder every other day.

I can only attribute the fast growth to genetics. I don't think I'm doing anything drastically different than most people here. And from looking at some of the other breeder's babcockis, I'm fairy certain it has some South African in its blood. Some of his hatchlings have double spots.

Then again I don't know for sure. He has more than one breeding pair. All I know is mine was sold as and looks babcocki.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
diamondbp said:
Very happy that you put this up. What a fantastic specimen to observe. Please continue to keep us updated. Is it looking male or female yet? I know its still young but have you seen any signs pointing toward what it might be?

I usually call it a "he" or "it" just because it's easier to type. lol. But the breeder told me there's a good chance it will be female since it was incubated in the ground in Arizona during a very hot summer, which often produces females. And the shell is growing very round where males are more elongated, so I'm guessing female for now.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Zamric said:

I have an 18 month old three toed box turtle who is about 275 grams. He's huge....it's beginning to worry me.

Beautiful leopard tortoise, OP. Do you find yours to be very shy?

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Lisa I think certain species grow faster than others. I've heard it takes leopards and sulcatas longer to mature than box turtles and Russians. I wouldn't worry about a hefty weight. lol

Yes, mine is shy, but again I haven't done much handling. I can't wait for the weather to get warmer so I can take him outside. I'd like to see the change in personality in that environment. Most reptiles seem to really come alive outdoors.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
wow. amazing growth!! your's is just a couple of months older than mine. thanks for sharing. so interesting to see. i love to watch how their new growth color changes. :)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Seven months old:

w5af0f9.jpg

i6KIC8M.jpg

7sK664G.jpg

4PT18Ju.jpg

I'm a week late posting this, but been busy. Just a note for anyone who's considering using calipers...tortoises HATE them! Must be like fingernails on a chalkboard when it touches their shell. Jumps like a lizard. I had to hold it a couple inches up to get the pic. lol

Month 6: 4", 226 grams

Month 7: 4 3/8", 266 grams

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Beautiful leopard!! I love how you are documenting her growth :)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks! I forgot to take a plasteron pic. I'll do that tomorrow. I still think it's going to be a female. The breeder incubated it in his back yard on a hot summer in Arizona, and the shell is fairly round and high domed so far. I'm also noticing lots of speckles, so it's probably cross bred with one of his South Africans. Maybe that's why it's growing so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.