Babies vs adult pricing?

Phreeflow

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I’d like to get a group of adult Hermann’s but my kids want babies to grow out. We are still deciding but I’m a bit confused why baby and adult Hermann’s seem to go for the same price. Is that normal for torts? Only thing I can compare this is to isall the sulcata babies I see flooding the market for $50. Unfortunately, it seems the older ones are always up for adoption so it’s not a good comparison

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Normally hatchlings are cheaper then adults
Hatchlings can't be sexed so you get what you get and very little time and money has had to be put into them.
Once more adult size, sex can be determined and lot more went into their care.
If you want a proper group that gas the best chance to be housed together, then buy adults. One male to 2 or more females.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’d like to get a group of adult Hermann’s but my kids want babies to grow out. We are still deciding but I’m a bit confused why baby and adult Hermann’s seem to go for the same price. Is that normal for torts? Only thing I can compare this is to isall the sulcata babies I see flooding the market for $50. Unfortunately, it seems the older ones are always up for adoption so it’s not a good comparison
This depends on the species, but the laws of supply and demand are the main driving factors. Babies are in high demand, but the supply is better. Not much demand for adults, and there isn't much of a supply either, so it all sort of balances out. In the lower end species, there is't much difference in price from babies to adults. In the higher end species, adults are way more expensive than babies. Radiata for example. Babies sell for around $1200. A breeding size/age adult in good shape with good color could sell for more than $10,000. Hatchling platynota sell for $800 all day long. Adult male platynota can sell for $2000+, and females $3500. Russians, hermanni, redfoots, and regular leopards will generally have less of a difference in price from baby to adult. Applying the laws of supply and demand, you've already noted the difference from sulcata baby to adult.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
This depends on the species, but the laws of supply and demand are the main driving factors. Babies are in high demand, but the supply is better. Not much demand for adults, and there isn't much of a supply either, so it all sort of balances out. In the lower end species, there is't much difference in price from babies to adults. In the higher end species, adults are way more expensive than babies. Radiata for example. Babies sell for around $1200. A breeding size/age adult in good shape with good color could sell for more than $10,000. Hatchling platynota sell for $800 all day long. Adult male platynota can sell for $2000+, and females $3500. Russians, hermanni, redfoots, and regular leopards will generally have less of a difference in price from baby to adult. Applying the laws of supply and demand, you've already noted the difference from sulcata baby to adult.
Ha! I didn't know Burmese stars were Geochelone platynota. I had to do a double take as for a sec I thought you were talking about Malayan flat shelled turtles (Notochelys platynota). I see these for sale all the time on local tortoise groups, inevitably wild caught, for $5-$30.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ha! I didn't know Burmese stars were Geochelone platynota. I had to do a double take as for a sec I thought you were talking about Malayan flat shelled turtles (Notochelys platynota). I see these for sale all the time on local tortoise groups, inevitably wild caught, for $5-$30.
Like wise, I did not know there was a turtle species of a different genus that shares the the platynota species name. Live and learn!

Phreeflow

CA
Thanks again for the great explanation Tom. You’re always a great help