Baby Box Turtles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Akron, OH
I've been meaning to post these pics for a while so here we go. My female Eastern Box Turtle has laid a total of eggs this year. 2 at first, then 3 about a month later, than another 3 a couple weeks later. Well last week the first 2 eggs hatched! This is the first time I've ever bred anything so I am pretty happy with them. Here they are:
dwb1fl.jpg

The one on the left is Skittles and the right one is Randy Newman (don't ask why but i thought Randy Newman was a funny name for a turtle)
5btye1.jpg

Randy Newman was the first to hatch. Of all days that my first ever egg hatched it was the day i proposed to my girlfriend, so that will always be kind of special:
fa1t6p.jpg

2rhwbxl.jpg

PLUS, I also bought a baby Gulf Coast Boxie! Hes about a month old and I named him Jambalaya. Hes pretty cute too:
zmcrdk.jpg

Both species are in separate 10 gallon tanks for a quarantine period, but there all going into a 40 gallon together in a month or so. I know most don't approve of that but I plan on separating them as adults.

Thanks for looking!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Nice photos of the hatchlings and cool story to go along with it..

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Nothing so cute as a baby box turtle. I keep a few different species in my outdoor turtle garden. I don't plan on selling any, or giving any away, and I don't incubate eggs....if they hatch I'll keep them, so it doesn't bother me to mix species. I only keep those that can hibernate outside. I have a Gulf Coast, some Easterns and Three Toed's. Love boxies.

M

Maggie Cummings

I personally think it's alright to mix different subspecies of box turtles. I keep Ornates and three toed together and I have an Eastern named Ginger who lives alone as she is afraid of other box turtles and I keep Bright Eyes a blind Ornate who lives alone. I love box turtles and think that they have more personality than most tortoises. Congrats on your babies...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Derek:

I keep all my baby box turtles together. It just makes it easier on me. But when they're big enough to graduate out of the baby habitat, each species has its own yard.

DerekS

5 Year Member
Akron, OH
Thank you all for the nice comments! Maggie I agree Box Turtles are definitely my favorite. Yvonne, that was my idea, easier on me. Especially if any of the other eggs hatch but i definitely plan on separating the adults. And Terry I think I know all of your box turtles by name haha. Whenever I have a boxie question I look at your old posts (or Tom from Turtle Tails is another favorite.)

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Congrats! They are adorable! I usually keep my three-toes and ornates together, the only time i separate my boxies is when the male gets aggressive with the girls.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I can't imagine any problem with keeping hatchlings of different subspecies together.

Congratulations!

DerekS

5 Year Member
Akron, OH
dsd330 said:
Really cool, how are they?
Akron, Ohio... me too

Thanks. They are all doing well and eating good. I am actually in Tallmadge but right on the border of Akron. I should change that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.