Baby eating rocks & dirt

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
So my 10 month Sulcata, Harper, decided her favorite thing to eat when out side is rocks. Small ones, big ones, dirt.... I feel like i am following a toddler around yelling "get that out of your mouth"

So she must not be getting all her minerals/ vitamins....?

Eats- Broad leaf seed mix greens, lots of mulberry leaves, lots of grass, rose leaves, rose of sharon leaves, dandelion etc.

She eats cuttlebone like a champ. Gets Mazuri 2 times a week mixed with grass. I use herbal salad topper a few times a week & TNT two times a week. Also use Repashy "all in one" once a week.

Is there a better supplements out there that you pros recommend?

Jay Rennemeyer

My sulcata Cecil once ate the 2-foot-long fabric belt from my 4-year-old grandaughter's dress. I'm not sure how it got into the pen, but I noticed it under Cecil and tried to pick it up. Then I realized that the belt was actually coming out of Cecil's rear! I gave her a day to expel it on her own, but no such luck. I then gave her a warm bath hoping that would help. An hour later I decided to take matters in my own hands. It took about 10 minutes to slooowly pull it out of her. She was generally relaxed, but every so often she would twitch a little bit.

Rather than freak out my step-daughter, who would have been horrified by the story, I decided it was best that the belt just disappear.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
sounds like it's not getting enough mineral's i'm not 100% but i think TNT powerder from carolinepetsupply.com would help

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
sounds like it's not getting enough mineral's i'm not 100% but i think TNT powerder from carolinepetsupply.com would help

I do use tnt twice a week. Not sure if I should up it or get something additional.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How long have you been using it? Several members have had good luck with it stopping their torts from eating rock. Your torts diet sounds great, I wouldn't think it could be missing something. Maybe you haven't used it long enough yet? Just guessing for things here.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
How long have you been using it? Several members have had good luck with it stopping their torts from eating rock. Your torts diet sounds great, I wouldn't think it could be missing something. Maybe you haven't used it long enough yet? Just guessing for things here.

Been using it since I got her in march. at least twice a week. Maybe she just likes to eat everything lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think that would have been long enough to stop her. I have no more ideas, but to go rock hunting and collecting in her enclosure:p:D Maybe someone else will have an idea, I'm going to send an alert out to a,few. @Tom @Yvonne G @tortadise

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
@Yvonne G probably know's a good mineral supplement i remember reading a post a while back about her suggesting a mineral supplement to someone i THINK

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I think that would have been long enough to stop her. I have no more ideas, but to go rock hunting and collecting in her enclosure:p:D Maybe someone else will have an idea, I'm going to send an alert out to a,few. @Tom @Yvonne G @tortadise

Thanks! I have been crawling all over her enclosure like a complete over protective nerd ;) it does not help that most of my yard is A lot of rock!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is called miner-all. Never used it myself, but some people swear by it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, sorry, that is the stuff. I was thinking it was TNT. Miner-all is the stuff that a lot of members had good luck with. Thanks dmmj, great memory, wish I had a memory like that:D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I use TNT powder almost daily in the winter, and sometimes herbal hey. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but my Tortoise does not eat rocks.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Anyone know where I can purchase Miner-all ? I just checked petsmart, amazon, tortoisesupply.com, & carolinapetsupply. No luck.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Ok, now that that is coming, will I still need the TNT? or is using both over kill.

I am thinking of using tnt twice a wk, Miner-all three times (until the rock eating stops) a week, & herbal hay still at three.