Baby feeding

Rupio

5 Year Member
So I'll be getting a baby Hermanns tortoise in the next month or two. Doing as much research as possible. But what I can't seem to have any consistent information on, is how many times should a baby be fed? And how much ? By baby I mean 2-3 months old. Thanks in advance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
"how many times should a baby be fed?"

There are no rules in tortoise-keeping. Everyone just does what they feel is right for their tortoises...that's why you get so many different answers.

I feed my babies once a day, enough food that lasts all day with some still there at night when I turn the lights off. The babies keep going back to the feeding station all throughout the day. Then at night when I turn off the light, I pick up any uneaten food.

"And how much ?"

See above answer

Cute_Obi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Paul, MN
I have a hatchling hermann's tortoise. I put a few pieces of spring mix in his food dish before I leave to work in the morning (7am). When my bf wakes up around 11ish he feeds Obi before he leaves to work. When I get home around 5ish I feed Obi again. So we feed him 3 times a day but he never finishes all the food we give him. I leave the food in his dish until the lights go out and I pick up whatever is left and throw it away.

Rupio

5 Year Member
That makes sense. I used to have veggies available for my bearded dragon all the time. Guess it works for torts too!! Thank you!!

alan88k

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
"how many times should a baby be fed?"

There are no rules in tortoise-keeping. Everyone just does what they feel is right for their tortoises...that's why you get so many different answers.

I feed my babies once a day, enough food that lasts all day with some still there at night when I turn the lights off. The babies keep going back to the feeding station all throughout the day. Then at night when I turn off the light, I pick up any uneaten food.

"And how much ?"

See above answer

Hi there.
That's exactly what I'm doing to my sully as well. In addition, I always try to vary the daily meal in order to supply a better nutrition to him. The more types of food u provide, the greater varies of nutrition he's able to absorb. That's what I thought.