Baby Food Bath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, MO
I thought I would share some pictures of Sheldon in his baby food bath. Carrot seems to be his favorite, and for the first time - he decided to drink some!!
:D
Mmmm.....
Babyfoodbathdrinkinga.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very cute :D. He isn't sick though is he? I usually only hear of baby food soaks for when they are sick and not eating. Didn't know you could do it any time, but I guess why not?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It doesn't hurt to do it with healthy ones, just as they get bigger and bigger it gets harder to do them.

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
I was right there with your train of thought, wellington... I'd only heard of baby food baths if they were sluggish or sickly. Though he isn't sickly, my little Sheldon had such a crappy start off with his first owners, they really didn't do anything right for him. I do it every so often, especially if he's been ignoring his water dish for awhile. After his baby food soak this evening, he spent about 20 minutes in his normal water dish. It seems to really help every once in awhile - and he loves it - it's a win/win!
:)

And - thanks, dmarcus & dmmj for your comments. :)

I've joked with my family about how much baby food it would take to do a bath like that when Sheldon's big. Heeheehee!!! I have heard of people smashing up pumpkins and adding them to a big guy's soaking area. I don't know how well it works... but I guess it has been tried at least.

M

Maggie Cummings

Hallbomber said:
What is the point of giving a baby food soak??

When you have a sick baby who's not eating soaking him in baby food water gives him nutrition and Vitamin A thru his cloaca and the soft spot under his throat. It's an old fashioned thing that works if you do it right...

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
Great answers from Zamric and maggie3fan! Maggie, I'm curious - you mention that it works if you do it right... what's the best way to do it?

I mix 1/2 of a small jar of organic baby food (carrots earlier this evening, or squash) with a small amount of warm purified water in a tub, and I place it under his lamp and heat bulb, and then place Sheldon into it to soak. It's depth allows for him to breathe while he's being shy. I let him soak in the baby food bath for about 25 minutes, then I switch him over to warm purified water for about 5 minutes. When he's done soaking, he's blotted dry and placed in his humid basking area. (When it's warm enough here, we do all of his baths outside in the sunlight.)

There really isn't much about giving baby food baths in the right way out there. I've tried to pick up tips and tricks as I've gone along... can you add anything I may be missing? This forum is an awesome learning experience, and I try to keep Sheldon spoiled in all the right ways.
Thanks!
:shy:

TotallyTank

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
Well I am sure you know that I am a babyfood soaker!!! I have seen so much about soft shells and then some unfortunate passings, I just wanted to avoid any possible weak shell or sluggish torts I am all about preventative mesures with my Daisy!!:D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
The soaks are also good for tortoises/turtles that refuse to eat. When one of my box turtles refused to eat I used the carrot baby food and I blended meal worms and trout chow into it and she would take a drink during the soaks, then one day she started eating and hasn't looked back...

M

Maggie Cummings

I wouldn't waste my money on organic baby food or purified water:) just ordinary baby food and tap water is fine. I don't use squash because it doesn't have enough Vitamin A in it, carrots have more. I also soak for an hour and I do it every day until they either get better or die!!! And I make the water level just a little above the bridge, that way it can soak into the soft skin under his throat too. You are doing a good job tho, and yes Sheldon is very spoiled...:D

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
Heehee! @ dmarcus and maggie3fan! I agree with the both of you. :D

And thanks, maggie3fan - I wasn't sure if a longer soak was ok... I always kind of thought so, since his soaks are kept warm. Our tap water is dangerous without being boiled first... and we buy our own drinking water by the 5 gallon jug, so we share it with our pets, too. I guess the organic part factors in to how we eat, too. We eat organic or ethically treated only, so it trickles down to our pets.

dmarcus - When Sheldon first came to me, he wouldn't eat for me... save some grass in our yard. I was fine with the grass, but the amount was too tiny. I was patient and stubborn - and tried to also be helpful. I am convinced that learning about baby food baths helped him bounce back.

Thank you, tortuga_please! :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I have a newer tort and while she is not ill, I think the baby food soaks now and then do stimulate her appetite.
That is a really cool pic!

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Just wondering what do you do if they pee our poo in the baby food bath? I always dump the water and get them fresh if they do that during their soaks.

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
@ lynnedit - I agree!! It really does make them want to eat. And, thank you for the compliment on the picture. :)

@ Hauntmom - If Sheldon pees or poos in the water (baby food bath or regular soak), I take him out and draw him a fresh bath. He doesn't really like to go in his water... I suppose I'm lucky there! It does happen, though.

@ lushcious - :D

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
Does anyone else out there have pictures of their torts in baby food baths? I would love to see them, if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.