Baby food - not carrots?

Jami

Hi all. My sick HermIt hatchling will not eat carrot baby food. Not on greens and in his soak with it was the most active I've seen him in days - tried to get out! Hates it. He's having trouble eating. Very weak from the antibiotics. Can I do butternut squash? Apples? Something green? Other ideas? He ate a little greens from my hand this morning. Thanks in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He doesn't have to eat it to get the benefit from it. You add it to the soaking water and he absorbs the nutrients through the thin skin on his throat and around the cloaca. We use carrots because it has the highest vitamin A content, and vitamin A is the first thing that they miss when they stop eating. That's why the eyes swell...lack of vitamin A. So add it to the soaking water, and leave him in there for a half hour or even more. But keep checking on him to be sure he doesn't tip over.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Jami

He doesn't have to eat it to get the benefit from it. You add it to the soaking water and he absorbs the nutrients through the thin skin on his throat and around the cloaca. We use carrots because it has the highest vitamin A content, and vitamin A is the first thing that they miss when they stop eating. That's why the eyes swell...lack of vitamin A. So add it to the soaking water, and leave him in there for a half hour or even more. But keep checking on him to be sure he doesn't tip over.

747117wei24kafiu.gif
Ok. Thanks much. I also just got him some respashy so maybe that will help too. Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I learned this trick very early on in my tortoise-keeping...many, many years ago. And I'm pretty sure I learned it from Dr. Jartchow, a tortoise vet in Arizona.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Jami

Ok. I'll make him stay in it. Thanks for helping me so much. HermIt is still so sick, but he's moving around a little again and trying to eat. Still really bleeding under his shell.

Jami

He's sleeping a lot. Giving him his antibiotics is getting easier. His left side is swelling up a little I think from the blood. But he's been moving around more today than Friday & yesterday. He's feisty and a fighter. So dang cute. Absolutely hates carrots apparently! Is getting tired of me trying to keep him hydrated. Thanks for asking!!!