Baby Food Soak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Hi everyone I have been hearing a lot about baby food soaks from you guys but I am clueless to what it is used for. How do you set up a baby food soak? Why would you need to do a baby food soak? What kind of baby food would you use? I think Chevy would like it but I would like more info on it.

Thanks,
Marta

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
I use Squash baby food. and mix 1 jar and calcium supplements into warm water.
the purpose is that it provides Hydration, Nutrients, and much needed energy to weaker , lethargic Torts.
I use on occasion simply on the principal that it can't hurt.

M

Maggie Cummings

I use it for sick torts who aren't eating. The nutrients soak in thru the soft part of their neck and their cloaca. They also drink some, so it's good all the way around. I use carrots because they have the most Vitamin A. I mix a jar of carrots and warm water in a small container. Make the fluid level right at the bridge on the tort. Soak them for 20 to 30 minutes. I put a light over the water to keep it warm...

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
aw maggie... you don't do that with Bob, do you????????

arf, just kidding.

you always have excellent advice.

teri

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
From another thread I posted..'

kyryah said:
Over the years, when I have had a young tortoise or turtle that was weakened, ill, not eating, etc., I have used baby food/vitamin soaks as a means to add needed nutrients and energy. The method for this is simple. Prepare a soak for your tortoise. The water should be warm but not hot to the touch, and the level of the water should just cover the bridge between the carapace (upper shell) and plastron (lower shell.) Into the water, mix one jar (or less for smaller volume soaks, but a good portion of around 30-40% of the total volume) of human baby food. Carrots or butternut squash seem to work the best. To the water can also be added bird vitamins of the kind that are mixed with water (Vitasol is one) and I have also used human baby vitamins (such as Gerber Poly Vi Sol.) Another great option is to add a liquid calcium carbonate solution, which can be purchased over the counter and is particularly a good choice for tortoises that have soft carapaces or plastrons, or very fine grade, suspendable calcium carbonate powder. The soak should be placed in an area that will allow it to remain warm for 15-20 minutes, such as on a heat pad, under a heat lamp, or next to a heat duct.

The symptoms under which I use/recommend this treatment are - lethargy, refusing to open eyes, puffy eyes, refusing to eat, and softness of the shell. Sometimes antibiotic therapy will cause a tortoise to go off its feed for a few days, and these soaks can be used at that time, also.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Marty:

Its for babies that aren't doing well.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I use a TNT soak for Betty every other week. I soak her 3 times a week but will but use a supplement called TNT in the water for her soak. I will also sprinkle the TNT supplement on her food once a week for some extra vitamins. I always put her in her "bath" under her heat light so she stays warm : ) I think she appreciates it!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Just to be onery without trying to be mean or confrontational, I will point out that there is no clinical evidence that the 'soak' portion of this treatment actually does anything. There is no evidence that water or vitamins penetrate the skin to be absorbed by the tortoise.

This is not to suggest that there are not benefits here- sitting in warm water, breathing warm vapors, taking in mouthfuls of nutrients, etc. all certainly help. There is also the anecdotal evidence of Yvonne's and Maggie's depth of experience.

M

Maggie Cummings

sharkstar said:
aw maggie... you don't do that with Bob, do you????????

arf, just kidding.

you always have excellent advice.

teri

Holy crap! Just think of ALL the jars of babyfood it would take for Bob...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.