Baby Food soaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

llaperle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Leonard, my 5 month-old Hermanns is having a carrot baby food soak as we speak.

The soak is about 50/50 food and warm water.

He is under the heat lamp to keep warm.

I tried mixing some of his clacium powder in with limited success. I'll try and get some liquid vitamins tomorrow.

How often should I soak him?

I posted earlier on the Hermanns forum to get this far, just wondering about the specifics of these soaks for my under-the-weather little guy.

LORI

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lori:

First of all, the baby food soaks will help with the puffy eyes, but won't do anything for the soft plastron.

Maggie (maggie3fan) is a good one to ask about getting calcium into babies. She has had to do it a lot and is quite experienced with it. I'm going to ask if she'll make up a thread that we can all go by. I'm getting old and its hard for me to remember stuff, so I need it written out for me.

I've got a couple of Texas tortoise babies that have soft shells too. Because they're too small to get a grasp on their head and open their mouths, I've had to put liquid calcium into their soaking water and hope for the best. I bought Calcionate online. It smells like oranges, so I don't think it tastes bad for them.

But, all the calcium in the world won't help unless they also get the sun or have a good UVB light to make the calcium work.

Good luck with your baby. We're all pulling for you.

llaperle

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thank you both.

This may sound crazy, and I am still very guarded, but he seems a tiny bit better after just one 30 minute carrot soak!

His eyes are open and he is walking around a bit. The concave part of his plastron seems level again too.

I will keep you all posted on his progress tomorrow, and maybe even throw in a pic of him in the tub tomorrow

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am an official supporter of the baby food soaks, I recently revived 3, 3 toed box turtles I will explain further on another thread, but the little guy was not eating or anything, I have been doing baby food soaks now for over a week and he has shown marked improvement, he is not 100% but the other day he ate an earthworm all by himself, without the soaks I would imagine he would be dead by now. keep up the soaks until he is eating on his own I say (mine soaks in sweet potato BTW. high in vitamin A)

llaperle

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Tonight he seemed so much better after his soak again. He actually even took a few bites of the dandelion I gave him. This was the first I have seen him eat in days.

Tonight I added liquid calcium and polyvitamins to the soak.

Does anybody do babyfood soaks more than once a day? I'm tempted to do it twice a day. I have been doing one water and one babyfood soak for the last two days, but the water just doesn't seem to have the same effect.

LORI

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The reason that I suggested doing one baby food soak and one plain water is so that he can get a real drink if need be. You could throw in another baby food soak, but make sure he gets at least 5 minutes in some plain water or electrolyte solution as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.