baby food soaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toledo Ohio
Is baby food soaks honestly just letting your Tort play in baby food... Gerber stuff? I read this in a forum as a good way to replenish vitamins typically A? Could this be used as preventative maintenance? My little Sam seems VERY HEALTHY and loves his fresh cut grass, Grassland tortoise diet and baby spring mix in the morning for breakfast. My thinking is it couldn’t hurt…the stuff his body doesn’t use would just be urine or pooped out as waste…..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I do not see why offering a baby food soak to a healthy tort would harm anything....I would wonder though if the tort began to get use to the yummy soaks so much that he may not want the regular soak without the yummy....kinda wondering if like with a child if all you offer is yummy chocolate milk what happens if you try to give plain old milk??? Remember that this is simply me wondering what if?? I do not think however giving yummy soaks to a tortoise that is not sick would cause any harm at all....:D

And as a mother to a son that snubs his nose to plain milk but will happily drink chocolate anytime....I know it is still getting the good stuff in even with the yummy...so might actually be a good idea a time or two a week....:D

JoeB

5 Year Member
Toledo Ohio
ascott said:
I do not see why offering a baby food soak to a healthy tort would harm anything....I would wonder though if the tort began to get use to the yummy soaks so much that he may not want the regular soak without the yummy....kinda wondering if like with a child if all you offer is yummy chocolate milk what happens if you try to give plain old milk??? Remember that this is simply me wondering what if?? I do not think however giving yummy soaks to a tortoise that is not sick would cause any harm at all....:D

And as a mother to a son that snubs his nose to plain milk but will happily drink chocolate anytime....I know it is still getting the good stuff in even with the yummy...so might actually be a good idea a time or two a week....:D

THXs for the reply! Is there a baby food to water ratio? Or we soak them in only baby food? I understand squash and carrots are the preferred food?

M

Maggie Cummings

I recommend baby food soaks heartily, but in your case I think it's a waste of money. You have a healthy tort on a good diet she doesn't need baby food soaks, she does need...lots of exercise outside her habitat, lots of strong UVB and 80% humidity in addition to a good and varied diet. If I were you I would concentrate on those things and forget the baby food soaks until they are needed.

JoeB

5 Year Member
Toledo Ohio
maggie3fan said:
I recommend baby food soaks heartily, but in your case I think it's a waste of money. You have a healthy tort on a good diet she doesn't need baby food soaks, she does need...lots of exercise outside her habitat, lots of strong UVB and 80% humidity in addition to a good and varied diet. If I were you I would concentrate on those things and forget the baby food soaks until they are needed.

THXs for the advise!!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I'm with Maggi on this one! It's kinda like being on a Asprin Regement. Good if your having problems it can address, otherwise it just a waste of medication and no harm done.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I am with Maggie on this too. When my baby was sick I used them and found them to be messy. Can't imagine doing it on a regular basis. Today I would need two jars of baby food to make just one soak.

TotallyTank

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
I have been giving them to daisy as preventative measures. I mix it down to probably a more like 70 water 30 organic carrot and squash. They come in a resealable pouch and I can get 4 soaks from 1 bag I get them 10 for 10 at the grocery! Daisy loves them she walks to the bowl when she sees it coming. I mix some calcium in as a good way to sneak it in she drinks the mixture the whole time in the bath. Then just a quick rinse with warm water and towel dry straight onto her basking rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.