Baby Galapagos Progress

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
He looks great JD. How are you housing him indoors?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Tom said:
He looks great JD. How are you housing him indoors?

Tom .....at this point while still small, lucky enough to be able to just pick him up and place inside at night . Nothing fancy actually ....just an enclosure I built approx. 2'x3' , Heat & UV low wattage , some volcanic gravel and green moss. Pretty much the same how I house all the indoor hatchlings who reside above him in a similar set-up. All of them are brought outside in the mornings and gathered up at night ...

Again another " inside" night retreat ..

His outside retreat is in the right hand front corner.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1st class JD. I suspected a closed chamber given that perfect carapace. I think you know that I eventually want to work with this species and you are setting an excellent example to follow. May I ask what your temps are in the indoor enclosure?

oknursedana

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1393206247.642023.jpg

Hello from the OKC zoo! How can you not love his face? I have a question that has been bothering me. They have 3 of the baby's that hatched in 2012 and they are tiny!!!! My Sulcata hatchling that is less than 1 yr is double their size. How quickly do they grow? Here is a recent pic of my Sulcata and I know the baby Galapagos was smaller. Tiny was started dry so please ignore the slight pyramiding. ImageUploadedByTortForum1393206784.528433.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
oknursedana said:
Hello from the OKC zoo! How can you not love his face? I have a question that has been bothering me. They have 3 of the baby's that hatched in 2012 and they are tiny!!!! My Sulcata hatchling that is less than 1 yr is double their size. How quickly do they grow? Here is a recent pic of my Sulcata and I know the baby Galapagos was smaller. Tiny was started dry so please ignore the slight pyramiding.

Omg, I was at the okc zoo today!!! I love our zoo!! Nice to see another okie!!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
oknursedana said:
Hello from the OKC zoo! How can you not love his face? I have a question that has been bothering me. They have 3 of the baby's that hatched in 2012 and they are tiny!!!! My Sulcata hatchling that is less than 1 yr is double their size. How quickly do they grow? Here is a recent pic of my Sulcata and I know the baby Galapagos was smaller. Tiny was started dry so please ignore the slight pyramiding.

Here are Tyrone's Stats ....so Far ...
TYRONE - BABY GALAPAGOSE BORN 8-1-2013

Sept 23 2013 = 96 grams ..

Oct 7 2013 = 108 grams ....

11-10-2013 = 166 grams …

11-19-2013 = 175 grams….

DEC 15 2013 = 206 ½ grams

Jan 12 2014 = 220 grams

VALENTINE DAY 2-14-2014
293 Grams
4.5” SCL

Tom said:
1st class JD. I suspected a closed chamber given that perfect carapace. I think you know that I eventually want to work with this species and you are setting an excellent example to follow. May I ask what your temps are in the indoor enclosure?

Indoor temps are 73 on the low end and 88 high end , with 50-70% humidity on average. He has his routine inside and often found basking in the wee hours of the mornings (4am) under his heat lamp .