Baby Greek Sleeping Habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

The little guy is doing great in his new home. He is adventuring outside eating clovers and dandelion leaves and regular meals too. My only question regards where he sleeps. As of lately, unless I sort of place him in front of his little burrow area, he tends to sleep under the heat lamp. Now let me clarify that he is not in direct contact with the heat but under a little thermometer. So I don't think he gets terribly hot... but I am just not sure how healthy it is for him to be sleeping there. Maybe he just likes it a bit warm? I read that night time cool temps are healthy for them.

Anyone have any suggestions

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose, CA
OxyBen said:
Hey everyone,

The little guy is doing great in his new home. He is adventuring outside eating clovers and dandelion leaves and regular meals too. My only question regards where he sleeps. As of lately, unless I sort of place him in front of his little burrow area, he tends to sleep under the heat lamp. Now let me clarify that he is not in direct contact with the heat but under a little thermometer. So I don't think he gets terribly hot... but I am just not sure how healthy it is for him to be sleeping there. Maybe he just likes it a bit warm? I read that night time cool temps are healthy for them.

Anyone have any suggestions

If the enclosure were big enough with different temperatues in different section, and he chose the one under the heat lamp, I would let him be there. My iberas always like to sleep under the log but I guess each tortoise has different personalities.

OxyBen

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I see, well the enclosure is pretty big compared to him. In fact there is a whole sheltered area that he really doesnt even use. I am going to try to take away any caveish things near the heat lamp.

Shellback

10 Year Member!
Norfolk , VA
Ben I say just let him be , I think your little guy knows where its best to sleep!

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
I agree with Shellback. The tort knows what he likes. As long as he isn't cooking in there, he'll be fine. So you know, My 6 babies all sleep outside almost all year. I never use any artificial heat for them. I only bring them in during cold storms. I live in Southern California, near the beach and the weather is very nice most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.