Baby Greek Tortoise Refuses to Eat! Please Help-

Safarigirl77

I have found a ton of useful information here! So thank you for that. But I need advise please. My baby greek tortoise has gone over a week (maybe more) now without eating a thing. He is a tiny tortoise. About 2". I've had him for about a month. He never was very lively, but he did eat small amounts for the first couple weeks I had him.

I came to the conclusion that his light (compact coil UV bulb) was making him sick :( As he wouldn't open his eyes, stopped eating and was lethargic and barely moved at all. I have now removed this light. (going on day 3 with out) He still has his basking bulb, which is about 105 directly under it. I am awaiting a MV light 100 watt in the mail. Should be here tomorrow. His overall enclosure temp is 75- 80 degrees. Humidity is 50%. The substrate is half and half sand and soil. He is in a large aquarium with a screened top. (I cover it with a towel to keep temps and humidity in.)

I have been doing carrot baby food soaks 2X a day. Yesterday after his soak he finally opened his eyes! He seemed to move around his enclosure some but is still sleeping a lot. He had a very runny/clear looking stool. normal? Does this mean he is getting rehydrated?? Yesterday I brought him outside in the sun for 30 min or so. He walked around a little. I offer him food and have it ready available in his enclosure for him. But he won't eat. I'm worried for this little guy! Any advise would be appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The light most certainly could be the culprit. Not all of the lights are bad, but we still hear stories , so there are still bad bulbs out there. The problem the bulb causes is similar to snow blindness. And it's quite painful for the baby. It usually takes about a week after the light is turned off for the eyes to recover. In the mean time, you can put soothing ointment in the eyes...either one of these would be fine:

eye ointment a.jpg eye ointment b.jpg

You can get the Terramycin from a vet or feed store (or online), and the Vetericyn is sold in pet stores.

Safarigirl77

I did remove the light (going on day 3) he finally opened his eyes! However, he still won't eat a thing :(
I brought him outside in the sun for about 30 minutes yesterday. (I'm in MN and it not all that warm here, otherwise I'd bring him out more) He seamed to perk up a little? I've been doing the carrot baby food soaks and pedialyte soaks.
He had a very runny/ clear stool 2 days ago.

I'm waiting on a MV bulb I ordered.

Safarigirl77

I am very worried that he won't eat. I've tried everything. Will the soaks help him get the nutrients he needs? What else can I do? I tried force feeding. He's so little I was afraid I'd hurt him or stress him out. How long can he possibly go with out eating? Poor little guy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just give him time. The eyes are painful and pain makes it so you don't feel like eating. He's getting some nutrients from the babyfood soaks.