Baby hatchling sleep a lot!

Princessjay

Hello!

I am a new tortoise owner and I have 2 baby Meditterean Spur thighs (breeder said they were girls)... I can honestly say that within 3 weeks of having them I am completely in love with them and they are the most adorable things I have seen.

Ive noticed at first when I got them, they were really slow, quiet, I'd handfeed them every morning, but they would spend most of the day sleeping and then at 4pm go to sleep for the night. I checked temperature, etc and everything was in accordance with guidelines. They had fresh food, fresh water daily, with calcium sprinkles. I soaked them daily, but I would find that they would eat and then go back into their little hide.

I thought maybe they were bored, so I kitted out the tortoise table with another hide, more pebbles, loads of hay and pellets. Now one of them is super excited, loves burrowing, climbing, walking around but the other one is still really quiet and just hides and tries to sleep all the time.

Why would this be? I make sure they both feed and both get a soak. Bit worried about her and not sure what to do.

Thanks!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Babies sleep tend to sleep a lot. The only thing I would caution is keeping 2 together may most likely end up with one dominate & one submissive (bullied) tortoise. Not sure if this is common with hatchlings but as they get older, if you notice one always hiding & one more active this is probably the case.

Princessjay

I've read this on a lot of forums, but they eat together, sleep together (I've tried to sleep them separately with different hides but they end up back together). If this is the case is it better to separate them now or later?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi and welcome to the forum! I totally agree with Jodie who suggested separating them. I have a Greek tort and I once took it out for "a walk" in the sun to meet someone who also has a tort (though I don't know what species). Once my tort saw the other one my tort began to....BULLY the poor thing like mad! I could not and still do not know WHY. I obviously picked my tort up and apologized to the gentleman. This is what's making me agree with Jodie. Take care.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello. And welcome to the TFO from AZ . Little torts sleep a lot because in the wild first to move first to be eaten . But please as these nice people are trying to tell you is torts don't do well in pairs , but 3 or more do great . So when do we get to see Picts of your torts and their enclosures . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Princessjay

Ah ok I shall look to see if anyone I know wants to take one off me. They are so tiny and so cute I don't know h ow I'll be able to separate them. I don't have space for 2 vivariume unfortunately :(

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hay is not a real good bedding (substrate) for babies. They will need something that holds humidity and hay will mold. Plus at that age they won't eat it. You are much better off to get coco coir like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00167VVP4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
If you are sure you are not having bully issues now, you most likely will eventually. Are you sure you don't have room for two enclosures? How about a unit that stacks ?

Princessjay

I live in an apartment so 2 tortoise tables isn't an option. Will have to rehome one of them. If you know anyone in the west London/Heathrow area who would give her loads of love and attention please send them my way.

I've ordered the coco noir UK equivalent. Thanks for the tip x

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I live in an apartment so 2 tortoise tables isn't an option. Will have to rehome one of them. If you know anyone in the west London/Heathrow area who would give her loads of love and attention please send them my way.

You can ask for hire a carpenter and make a second level for the tortoise table... I don't live in the UK, so I can't help with the adopting :)

margykid

That's such a shame.I live in West London and was looking for a baby but I have just found my perfect one.I wish I could help. If it gets really serious and they start fighting, I have the space for another hatchling until you find them a home but they probably won't fight so young.

Prairie Mom

If they must be separated, I think AbdullaAli's idea of doing a second level is a wonderful suggestion! Here is a link to an enclosure thread that has lots of ideas for tortoise enclosures including triple-deckers and even very simple large plastic storage enclosures that anyone can do. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/ideas-for-indoor-enclosures.65798/ Who says you have to give up the babies you love, if you can house them cheaply and so simply! I'm a firm believer in "where there's a will, there's a way!"

Princessjay

Hello I ordered the coco noir but they don't like it.... they won't sleep in their bedroom anymore... going back to the hay!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Hello I ordered the coco noir but they don't like it.... they won't sleep in their bedroom anymore... going back to the hay!
The coco coir needs time to settle, in a week or two it will be better :) I wouldn't go back to hay...

Princessjay

oh really? Oki i'll give it a go, I lost one of them yesterday inside their enclosure, she didn't go and sleep in her "bedroom" so she had burrowed herself under the hay and reptile chip things! x

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
oh really? Oki i'll give it a go, I lost one of them yesterday inside their enclosure, she didn't go and sleep in her "bedroom" so she had burrowed herself under the hay and reptile chip things! x
Babies like to burrow, and some tortoise hate their "bedrooms" :D

puffy137

I'm sure to be ignored or contradicted , but my Greek tortoises, all related, have been together since they were hatched . going on for 20 years. They don't fight each other, males do get rambunctious when they fall for a female, even then they aren't promiscuous. Blackie is in love with Reeva, Dana only has the attention of George. It maybe because they are just used to each other, or it could be the species . Every morning when I lift off their house, the adults are all huddled together, except for Blackie who is usually on patrol. All 25 are doing well , babies getting stronger by day, plastrons nice & firm. If there are a lot more babies next year I shall lengthen their enclosure.