Baby hermann blowing snot bubbles and white poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayleaS

5 Year Member
I have two baby hermann tortoise and they both keep blowing snot bubbles I have also just bathed them and one of them did a white poo in their bath they are not eating much and seem very active. They have got a thermostat in there tortoise table but the tempreture doesn't seem to stay the same it's about 32 degrees is that ok? Also I don't know whether they have got a UVA light as I got them for my birthday (best present ever :)) is there any way of telling. Please some one help as I'm so worried about them
Thank u

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Hopefully someone with more experience regarding your situation will reply soon.

But meanwhile if you can post pictures of your tortoise enclosure and list what you're feeding them and how they're being cared for it will help with their advice.

Also knowing how old they are and where they came from may be helpful.

Your torts need a warm humid environment while young.

A cool side and a warm side are needed. If 32 is your warm spot that maybe a little too cool.

The white poo is normal if its smooth and not chunky or gritty.

Are you soaking your torts in lukewarm water daily?

KayleaS

5 Year Member
What tempreture should it be as a lot of different people say different things and it gets so confusing lol they are 3 months old and I got them from some one I know who breads them I feed them spring greens, broccoli, watercress, cauliflower, runner beans, cucumber, celery and occasionally strawberries yes bath them everyday but they don't really seem to like being bathed they sleep a lot but I assume that's because they are babies? I don't no how to post pictures as I am new to this I only no how to change the profile pic lol

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
KayleaS said:
I have two baby hermann tortoise and they both keep blowing snot bubbles I have also just bathed them and one of them did a white poo in their bath they are not eating much and seem very active. They have got a thermostat in there tortoise table but the tempreture doesn't seem to stay the same it's about 32 degrees is that ok? Also I don't know whether they have got a UVA light as I got them for my birthday (best present ever :)) is there any way of telling. Please some one help as I'm so worried about them
Thank u
The white excretion is most likely urates, semi-solid wastes from the urinary tract. This is normal as long as it stays fluid.

The bubbles may be a more serious concern. If they are producing bubbles constantly when trying to breath they may very well have a serious respiratory problem. Are the bubbles through the nostrils, mouth or both? Is the liquid clear, white or yellow?

I assume by 32 degrees you're referring to celcius, which is nearly 90 degrees fahrenheit. Is the temperature under the basking light or in general? If it is under the basking it's okay, but could stand to a few degrees warmer. General ambient temperatures not directly under the basking light should be in the 23c (74f) to 27c (82f) range. Night time temperatures should be in the 15c (60f) to 18c (65f) range.

Baby tortoises, especially baby Mediterranean tortoises, which Hermann's are, need to remain hydrated at all times. The best way to ensure this is by three means:
1-body hydration. This is absolutely key to keeping a baby tortoise healthy. If a baby dehydrates it will often also stop eating and it's digestive system will begin to shut down and it will also stop expelling wastes on a regular basis in order to attempt to retain body moisture. They should have easy access to a shallow drinking water container at all times. In addition to this they can be removed and soaked. Soaking is simply added insurance and should not be considered as a replacement for any other steps.
2-substrate moisture. It should be soil based, such as potting soil and can have coconut coir and/or ground sphagnum mixed in to help retain moisture even better. It should be sprayed often enough to keep it slightly moist to the feel throughout it's depth, but not wet. It can be sprayed one, two or three times a day if necessary to help maintain this moisture level.
3-ambient air humidity. Hermann's and most other Mediterranean species should have an ambient air humdity of no lower than 50% most of the time. The more ideal range is 55-65% with even a big higher being okay.

KayleaS

5 Year Member
They are blowing clear bubbles from their nose. The tempreture is near the light but not under it they also have soil and play sand at one end and pellets at the other but I didn't realise that u have to spray it so ill start doing that they never go in the cool end so i thought they might be cold as they are always near the light. I bath them every day and they do have water in there but iv never seen them go near it.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
What are your exact temps? Ambient, basking night, cool side.... And what 'pellets' are you using? I would find a new choose of substrates....coco coir is a popular choice here.

KayleaS

5 Year Member
I have changed the temp now it's about 26 the pellets are called herbifloor the compressed grass pellets. Do u think its to do with the soil and playing sand then? The person we bought them from recommended that

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would get rid of the hay pellets. Stick to coco coir or soil type substrate

KayleaS

5 Year Member
Really why? Every one I know with tortoises have these pellets I thought they would be find

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Hello and welcome :) The reason the Pellets are not recommended is because they can be ingested and cause a blockage which could make your baby sick or it could be even worse than that . Its better to be safe than sorry. Everyone here for the most part has lots of experience. I use a mixture of cypress mulch and organic top soil both very cheap and easy to use. Good luck with your new baby.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Also, with a hatchling you will want to have high humidity and the pellets will mold if kept damp.

KayleaS

5 Year Member
Right ok thank u ill change the pellets this is what mine looks like

image-1498706736.png

image-3790936505.png

I want to mine like the grass picture will that be ok

Attachments

• image-2757494458.png
    image-2757494458.png
    807.8 KB · Views: 30

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Several problems with the pellets. Number one, they are too dry and tend to dehydrate babies. Number two, they offer terrible traction for small tortoise feet. Number three they mold easily if they get wet. This mold can be toxic. I also don't like sand. It is a serious impaction risk and possible eye and skin irritant.

You need to get a proper remote probed thermometer AND temp gun and figure out exactly what your temps are. There are four temps to be concerned with. Directly under the basking light, warm side, cool side, and night. You need to know all of them and adjust them as needed. If your babies are always on the warm side, it is a good indicator that your temps are too cold. If they are showing symptoms of being sick already, the first step is to warm things up a bit.

What are you using for lighting and heating? Coil type florescent bulbs can damage their eyes. Are you using any UV? Do you offer them any night heat? DO they have a humid hide box?

Here are some links for you to read. Please do not wait.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-22635.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html

Continue the soaks and don't worry about whether or not they like it. Use warm water and ensure that it stays warm for the duration of the soak.

And finally, listen to GB. He knows his stuff and is a foremost expert on all things Testudo.

KayleaS

5 Year Member
Iv got a 60 watt basking spot light is that correct? I bought it today. Also I don't understand what temperature its supposed to be as when I first got it they had a 100 watt bulb but was to hot so I got a dimming thermostat to keep the temperature at 33 Celsius as that is what temperature I was told to keep the hot end. Then I was told to put the temperature down to 27c which i have done and they seem a lot more active the cool end is 21c but they still keep sitting under the lights in the hot end I was told the other light is a UVA one but how can u be certain? I'll put a pic on where the thermometer is in the hot end. Also iv been told to turn the heat up if they seem ill but now iv turned it down to 27c they seem fine. Still not eating much but I'm really sure how much they are supposed to eat as iv only had them 2 weeks. How do u measure the humidity?

image-225291798.png

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
KayleaS said:
Really why? Every one I know with tortoises have these pellets I thought they would be find
Grass based pellets are notorious for harboring mold and bacteria which should be avoided at all cost. Pellets are not a good choice for a substrate material. They also provide poor footing because they are so moveable.
Sand is also not used by many keepers either because it is dry and dusty and does not hold moisture well without being soaking wet. When dry it also sticks to moist surfaces like the tortoises food, it's eyes and mouth. For smaller (younger) tortoises that require a bit more humidity and substrate moisture a soil based substrate works best. Organic potting or top soil works well. This can be mixed with coconut coir, ground up dry leaves or sphagnum if more moisture retention is desired.

KayleaS

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Grass based pellets are notorious for harboring mold and bacteria which should be avoided at all cost. Pellets are not a good choice for a substrate material. They also provide poor footing because they are so moveable.
Sand is also not used by many keepers either because it is dry and dusty and does not hold moisture well without being soaking wet. When dry it also sticks to moist surfaces like the tortoises food, it's eyes and mouth. For smaller (younger) tortoises that require a bit more humidity and substrate moisture a soil based substrate works best. Organic potting or top soil works well. This can be mixed with coconut coir, ground up dry leaves or sphagnum if more moisture retention is desired.

Iv got a 60 watt basking spot light is that correct? I bought it today. Also I don't understand what temperature its supposed to be as when I first got it they had a 100 watt bulb but was to hot so I got a dimming thermostat to keep the temperature at 33 Celsius as that is what temperature I was told to keep the hot end. Then I was told to put the temperature down to 27c which i have done and they seem a lot more active the cool end is 21c but they still keep sitting under the lights in the hot end I was told the other light is a UVA one but how can u be certain? I'll put a pic on where the thermometer is in the hot end. Also iv been told to turn the heat up if they seem ill but now iv turned it down to 27c they seem fine. Still not eating much but I'm really sure how much they are supposed to eat as iv only had them 2 weeks. How do u measure the humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.