Baby hermann tortoise advice needed

Hhollylouise

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
Yesterday i got a 6 month old hermann tortoise , i have a tortoise table with built in hide at one end , last night it took itself in there and went to sleep partially buried but not really but the breeder said it was fine this evening its burrowed fully under the soil just far of the lamp which is now off but its been moving so its full shell is out of the substrate should i move it to the indoor part so it can stay warmer , its 20 degrees in the table or should i bury it slightly more ive attached photo of it earlier and then second picture is now but now its full shell is out , also should i let it wake up itself after i turn the lights on in the morning or should i wake it up any advice would be amazing

Attachments

• CDB1B379-5194-48DB-A19F-B2CDC115A357.jpeg
    CDB1B379-5194-48DB-A19F-B2CDC115A357.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • AAC82656-8E55-4668-9C35-1A451AF45EF7.jpeg
    AAC82656-8E55-4668-9C35-1A451AF45EF7.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hiy i think your reading what i said wrong its 20 degrees at night which it is now and thats 68 fahrenheit
20C is okay over night as long as the whole enclosure is getting up to 26-30C during the day with a 36-37C basking area. This is very difficult to do in an open topped enclosure. Its also near impossible to keep humidity up where it needs to be. That is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof. You need a large closed chamber, aka: vivarium. Adults are fine in large open topped tables in most cases, but babies need a bit more warmth and humidity.

Please give these a read:

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
20C is okay over night as long as the whole enclosure is getting up to 26-30C during the day with a 36-37C basking area. This is very difficult to do in an open topped enclosure. Its also near impossible to keep humidity up where it needs to be. That is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof. You need a large closed chamber, aka: vivarium. Adults are fine in large open topped tables in most cases, but babies need a bit more warmth and humidity.

Please give these a read:

Hiya thank you , yes it gets to these temperatures during the day , do you any advice on keeping it humid until i can get a vivarium

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hiya thank you , yes it gets to these temperatures during the day , do you any advice on keeping it humid until i can get a vivarium
Cover as much of the top as you can with perspex or aluminum foil. Keep the substrate damp. Soak the baby daily. Do not use a humidifier blowing directly into the enclosure, but go ahead and use one to humidify the whole room.

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
Cover as much of the top as you can with perspex or aluminum foil. Keep the substrate damp. Soak the baby daily. Do not use a humidifier blowing directly into the enclosure, but go ahead and use one to humidify the whole room.
Thank you , does it help that where i live the humidy doesnt go below 70% and sits during the day at 83%

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you , does it help that where i live the humidy doesnt go below 70% and sits during the day at 83%
Outside humidity doesn't really matter. The humidity inside your heated home is much lower, and lower still inside your electrically heated tortoise enclosure.

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
T
Outside humidity doesn't really matter. The humidity inside your heated home is much lower, and lower still inside your electrically heated tortoise enclosure.
Thank you i bought a 2 humidy gauges today that sits in the table it reads 62 % on both what am i aiming for humidy wise

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
T

Thank you i bought a 2 humidy gauges today that sits in the table it reads 62 % on both what am i aiming for humidy wise
All the information you are asking for is in those care sheets. How about posting some more pictures of the tortoise and the entire enclosure you are trying to set up?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
T

What type of humidity gauges did you get and from where? The pet store ones are not reliable.

Humidity for a baby should be around 70%, but damp substrate of the right type and a humid hide are important.

Hhollylouise

Hampshire
What type of humidity gauges did you get and from where? The pet store ones are not reliable.

Humidity for a baby should be around 70%, but damp substrate of the right type and a humid hide are important.
There not from a pet store as i dont actually have one near me its around 3 hour drive before i could get to one ,there from a building supply shop as there more accurate , i have covered most of the table as you said to on another thread and sits at 78% humidity now