Baby hermanns tort outdoors

Chrismiss

Hi guys, I have a question on my baby Hermanns tortoise. I just recieved him today and he seems very inactive, although, when i bring him outside on a towel, he seems to be much more active, he wants to walk around and practically run. But when i bring him inside, all he does is stay in one spot. I cannot use an outdoor enclosure because of my weather here. (cold cold cold!) but if anyone could tell me if this is normal and he will get used to his inside enclosure. Or is there something wrong?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to tell us about your inside enclosure before we would be able to help you.
Temps and humidity and what types of bulbs/heating your using, substrate, and a pic of the enclosure.

Chrismiss

I have a 100 watt bulb about 10 inches above the substrate. He is in a wooden enclosure, 3 ft by 2 ft. Cypress mulch bedding. Food, water. Temps is low 80s hot spot around 90-95. I dont use a heat pad though, risk of fire with the wood.

Oogway the russian tort

Your enclosure seems fine for now but he might be inactive because he is one scared since he is new and isnt used to his new environment or two he is active outside because he can go as far as he can see unlike a wooden enclosure u have whichi is fine but doesnt let him go where ever he wants so i recommend at least takeing your tort outsidw for 30min a day