Baby Hermanns Tortoise with a small bump on the beak...?

EElectricEEl

Hello everyone! First time poster, and brand new Hermanni mommy looking for a bit of advice. First I'd like to say what great advice I've read on this forum so far. I'm really happy to be part of such a great community of people :<3:And thank you in advance for your responses :tort::D

My little Oros is about 2 months old now. Just a little itty bitty guy! He's an eating machine too! Can't wait to start my little tortoise garden to give him as much variety as I can ;). My concern is this little bump he has on the very middle of the tip of his beak. I Googled some images of other baby Hermanns tortoises, and I've seen it on others that look about his size, so I'm guessing it's a normal-ish thing and will hopefully grow out of it. At the moment it looks like a tiny tiny pimple with a white head. I just recently did some reading about using cuttle bone to substitute the calcium powder I sprinkle (Not sub completely, but offer as a better form of calcium intake), and I just learned it helps with beak maintenance too. I didn't realize they needed to keep their beak trim, so I'm wondering if that's what this little bump is that I see. Is his beak already starting to get overgrown? Or is this just a normal thing because he's so young and it will disappear with time? We've had Oros for just over 2 weeks now, and it doesn't appear to be getting any bigger...but it's not getting any smaller either. Just want to know whether it's something to worry about!

I don't have a good picture of him right now to post what I'm looking at, and I'm posting from my work computer at the moment, but if you guys need I can try to get my own photo uploaded.
But basically it looks like this one I found on Google, but when you look at his face straight on, you can see a tiny white dot in the middle.

BabyHermEating01.jpg

Appreciate your time :<3:

Thanks

EElectricEEl

Oops. The Google image I pasted in my post was taken down. Sorry. I didn't realize that was a violation :confused:. I will attempt to get a good picture of the bump on my own tortoise and post it later. :D

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sounds like you're talking about the egg tooth. It'll disappear on its own after a few more months.
Here are two photos of my hatchlings, showing the egg tooth clearly:

MW2bgPK.jpg

T1wv9e2.jpg

You could keep track of your tortoise's weight. That way you'll easily know whether it is growing or not.

EElectricEEl

That's exactly it! Phew! Thank you so much for clearing that up for me :D I'm glad it's nothing to worry about. It's funny though; in all my years working in a pet store, not once have I heard of an egg tooth. Birds and some other reptiles have this too. Very interesting info. :) Thanks again!