Baby Hermann's with tiny fourth vertebral scute

squirrelkitty

Location (City and/or State)
Birkenhead
Our baby Hermann's has a tiny fourth scute on his back. First I thought that this is where his shell growth, but then found out that they are supposed to have a certain number of scutes.
He also only seems to have ten scutes on his plastron.
He is four months old and his weight is 22 grams.

He was already like this when we got him.

He seems healthy enough, he eats heartily and seems to know that the calcium/vitamin D supplement is good for him, he likes to play and explore, he poops fairly regularly, has no mobility problems. He's got a basking lamp and everything he needs. (He might be a she, by the way). We bathe him regularly and spray him and he's got some sphagnum moss, as well.

But can the tiny scute affect his growth and health in the long run? Was he incubated incorrectly or is this just an individual difference?

I'm really worried now that he will be disabled or become ill.

Can anyone tell me whether this is normal? Thanks.

Attachments

• Frankies shell.jpg
    Frankies shell.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 36
N

no one

You don't have to worry, it just makes him more special!! It is not health related and it won't affect his growth. You will always see the little extra scute of course, but it is more a cosmetic thing.

I have two Tortoises with different scutes.

Turt my Elongata...

20180709_092225-2.jpg

And a little Indian Star...

IMG-20180520-WA0019-1.jpg

N

no one

It can be incubation temp. related, but from what I understand it just happens sometimes. Maybe someone else can explain better.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum and enjoy your little Hermann's Tortoise!!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Our baby Hermann's has a tiny fourth scute on his back. First I thought that this is where his shell growth, but then found out that they are supposed to have a certain number of scutes.
He also only seems to have ten scutes on his plastron.
He is four months old and his weight is 22 grams.

He was already like this when we got him.

He seems healthy enough, he eats heartily and seems to know that the calcium/vitamin D supplement is good for him, he likes to play and explore, he poops fairly regularly, has no mobility problems. He's got a basking lamp and everything he needs. (He might be a she, by the way). We bathe him regularly and spray him and he's got some sphagnum moss, as well.

But can the tiny scute affect his growth and health in the long run? Was he incubated incorrectly or is this just an individual difference?

I'm really worried now that he will be disabled or become ill.

Can anyone tell me whether this is normal? Thanks.
Screenshot_2018-01-22-00-44-37.png

squirrelkitty

Birkenhead
Thanks for your replies, everyone!
I do think he looks special and I thought his tiny scute was very cute. (At first I thought he is growing a new scute there, but then I saw pics of hatchlings and found out they are supposed to have the full number from birth).