Baby horsfield sleeping and not eating

Dutchess

Location (City and/or State)
RYTON
Hi my 18 month old horsfield has been sleeping a lot for the last 2 weeks and is barely eating. His basking area is set to 32 degrees, I have also replaced the UV bulb last week. I get him up every day to soak him and offer food, sometimes he eats a small amount, sometimes nothing then goes straight back to bed. Is there something I'm doing wrong? He is normally fairly active through the day and only goes into his bedroom around 6pm when he settles for the night. He normally eats most of what I give so this is out of character for him. He has also lost some weight. Can anyone give me any advice please?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Basking should be 95-100F. All over temps range from 75-80F. Night time can drop into 60's.
Humidity 50-80%
What kind of uvb build are you using? The Coil type is hard on their eyes and can make them hide away.

Dutchess

RYTON
Hes always had a coil one and never had any problems, I replaced it after he started sleeping all the time

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hes always had a coil one and never had any problems, I replaced it after he started sleeping all the time
You replaced a coil type bulb with another coil type bulb? They are bad for the tortoise eyes. That is a fact.
Please try to listen and learn from those who are trying to help you, it will be worth it for you and your tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What did you replace it with? If it's another Coil then stop using it. It's been proven here alone how they can damage eyes and lots of torts hide away because of them. Why risk it!

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
I would definitely say just because he’s always has it doesn’t mean it was correct, these guys on here have loads of experience and I would trust what they say for sure

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Dutchess...welcome ...Coil bulbs have a tendency towards blinding the eyes of tortoises...it happened to me. We are only trying to help you keep your tort alive. You must know the exact temperate in that enclosure to keep that tort alive, that means buying a temperature gun. It means making sure his substrate, lighting, exercise room are correct.