Baby Leopard getting enough heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjsmith8688

5 Year Member
We have a new baby Leopard (approx. one year old) and have it enclosed in a large rubbermaid area about 2ftx3ftx7in. We have a 160watt MVB over one end and his hide (a half-log) about 3/4 of the way on the other side of the enclosure (plus food and water dishes). Temps are: under the bulb about 95 degrees, at the other end about 75 degrees. The tort. spends all of his time in his hide unless we move him/her to bathe or move him/her to be under the lamp. He/she is eating well, drinking and pooping. Only eats when we move it out of its hide-has not moved out on its own.

My question is this: Will he/her move to the heat source on their own, or will he/she allow themselves to get too cold as they are in their hide?
How much should WE move the tort. to its food/heatsource or should we let it be and allow it to get hungry enough or cold enough to move itself to food/heat?

Any response appreciated.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new baby!

How long have you had your new baby? If it hasn't been too long, then I would be patient because the transporting and new set up can be stressful for them. If he is eating, drinking and pooping okay, then he may just be stressed. Although I've had my older Leopards for a few years now, I too am relatively new at caring for yearling Leopard tortoise. I'm sure more experienced keepers will pop in soon with more information, but in the meantime, I would suggest you move the hide to the hotter side if there is room. You might want to post a photo of the enclosure and, of course, your new baby. Have you named him yet?

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
leopards seem to be a shy species. sometimes it takes them a while to open up to you and get to know you. all of mine come out when there hungry and are usually busy moving around during the day. what type of light do you have? id reccomend the zoo med powersun. very good light and they seem to last a long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.