Baby Leopard Sleeps a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

psadasivan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rockville, MD
Hi,

I have bought couple baby leopard tortoises recently. they are probably one month old when i got it. Its been a week since they have arrived at my place. Initially they both were active and eating well.

All of sudden after 3 days one became extremely lethargic , always sleeps - almost like 23 hours a day or more than that. Also it likes to sleep under basking lamp all the time. Is this normal or we need to see a vet pretty soon? the other one is active , walking , scratching corners , eating normal and popping normal .I would appreciate some inputs.

Here is my setup

Basking lamp in one corner - temperature around 100C and humidity 40

I have a UV lamp in one corner .

Hideout in other cooler corner. cooler corner temperature is about 70C and humidity around 60

These are my first tortoises . Please let me know what we can do.

Diet - Spring Mix, Kale and calcium D3 twice a week.

Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) first, start feeding a more varied diet. Check out the tortoisetable.org for edible plant ideas. Second do not use any coil type bulbs, if you are, get rid of it ASAP Soak your torts in warm water 20-30 minutes every day. Keep water warm the whole time. The substrate should be coconut coir or cypress mulch. The temps should be 95+ for basking and over all temp and night temps 80. These temps also need a humidity of 80%. If you get get them outside every day or at least 3times a week for sunshine, that should be great. They need water available 24/7 and calcium with D3 2-3 times a week. The last thread below in my post is Toms and about the right way for raising leopards. Get you housing to as close as possible listed in his thread and as I also posted above.

psadasivan

5 Year Member
Rockville, MD
Welligton,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using Premium Top Soil and Sand substrate in the ratio of 70 and 30 respectively. i do soak them every day. i have not been able to take him out yet, he is pretty much indoors so far. i have been thinking of doing that too, i will try that soon. i am not using coil lamps , i am using zoo med uv 18 inch . but i am planning to change it to 24inch atleast.

i hope my little buddy starts feeling better/ becomes active soon. Also thinking of trying Mazuri and cactus pretty soon.

wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) first, start feeding a more varied diet. Check out the tortoisetable.org for edible plant ideas. Second do not use any coil type bulbs, if you are, get rid of it ASAP Soak your torts in warm water 20-30 minutes every day. Keep water warm the whole time. The substrate should be coconut coir or cypress mulch. The temps should be 95+ for basking and over all temp and night temps 80. These temps also need a humidity of 80%. If you get get them outside every day or at least 3times a week for sunshine, that should be great. They need water available 24/7 and calcium with D3 2-3 times a week. The last thread below in my post is Toms and about the right way for raising leopards. Get you housing to as close as possible listed in his thread and as I also posted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.