Baby leopard tortoise sleeps alot

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
As for the substrate, I don't use any "reptile carpets) or anything plastic. I've heard of some torts eating pieces of plastic or such resulting in medical emergencies due to obstructed GI tract. I also like nice thick layer of substrate, mine is at least 4 inches. It's bot flat, I made few "hills" in there, my babies love to climb. In some areas my substrate is 6 or more inches but I also try to grow plants in it and keep some critters to create a mini ecosystem. My goal is to not have to change the substrate at all, and so far, I haven't! In 6 months! Most members here like orchid bark and coco coir, some use cyprus wood chips and top soil. I have orchid bark on the bottom, coir with little top soil in the middle and the top is lined with different kinds of moss. I'm still trying to find some moss that would live and thrive in there but I think it's too hot for the moss so every few weeks I turn the substrate and check on the plant roots, trim the "uglies" off etc and the moss that has lost it's looks gets turned under, and replaced with new fresh clump. Hope this helps. Please ask any questions you may have.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453480166.233245.jpgyeap! Lots of moss!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453480202.178696.jpgand live plants including fresh aprout that never last, babies mow them down before they get a chance to grow ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453480292.151293.jpgthey didn't want to eat their "protein" so I decided to dump all the earthworms from the package into the substrate. That was 6 months ago, those earthworms are still there and lioking good!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453480463.034595.jpg terracotta saucer for water dish with edges at substrate level. Babies go in and out as they please few times a day, ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453480657.754100.jpgmeals served on nice piece of slate and larger leaf to help with clean upImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453480826.207578.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453480846.545006.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453480881.479166.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453480933.272119.jpg and those are the commercial foods that I supplement with daily and calcium powder that I give couple of times per week. I'm thinking now I should start my own separate threads one for enclosure, lights, substrate, plants and feeding. It just took me so much work to get to this point, I'd like to help others who are like I was frantically looking for answers worried sick for their new pets. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted. I'd love to hear about your progress

Cali tortoise

As for the substrate, I don't use any "reptile carpets) or anything plastic. I've heard of some torts eating pieces of plastic or such resulting in medical emergencies due to obstructed GI tract. I also like nice thick layer of substrate, mine is at least 4 inches. It's bot flat, I made few "hills" in there, my babies love to climb. In some areas my substrate is 6 or more inches but I also try to grow plants in it and keep some critters to create a mini ecosystem. My goal is to not have to change the substrate at all, and so far, I haven't! In 6 months! Most members here like orchid bark and coco coir, some use cyprus wood chips and top soil. I have orchid bark on the bottom, coir with little top soil in the middle and the top is lined with different kinds of moss. I'm still trying to find some moss that would live and thrive in there but I think it's too hot for the moss so every few weeks I turn the substrate and check on the plant roots, trim the "uglies" off etc and the moss that has lost it's looks gets turned under, and replaced with new fresh clump. Hope this helps. Please ask any questions you may have.
Thank you so much for the tank set up with lights I bought CHE today and it did bump up the temperature thank you for photos it helps a lot hello and thank you again for all of your help this forum is a wonderful source of information!

Cali tortoise

Wow your tank is beautiful!!! I like how it looks so tropical and fun. The photos of the top of your tank help me out a lot. I now have a temperature reading on the left side of the tank the hot side the humidity reading in the middle and another temperature reading on the right side or cool side. I bought a CHE 100watt my tank is about 40 gallon it is really big. I also put small cloth towels on top of the tank not near the bulbs but I think they work better than the cardboard I was using. I like your idea of the reflectix tape. My temps have gone up today it was 92 on the left side hot side and 82 on the cool side. The humidity was still only 40 45 percent. I have one live plant on the left side of tank hot side it is a spider plant. I am using the coco bark mix I bought at pet store I spray it down everyday, and I water the spider plant every other day. I do have to green tank carpet on the bottom but I like the idea of not having it and going all natural! You have givien me a lot of cool ideas. How many tortoises do you have? Thanks again for the great ideas and taking the time to talk me thru it all.:)

Cali tortoise

What kind of moss should I buy? What a bout a basking rock? I saw one in the pet store today but it was really high up and I didn't think it was safe for my tortoise. Where did you get all of your great ideas from?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
basking rocks are not a good choice for tortoises. overhead heat is the best for tortoises

Pearly

5 Year Member
Wow your tank is beautiful!!! I like how it looks so tropical and fun. The photos of the top of your tank help me out a lot. I now have a temperature reading on the left side of the tank the hot side the humidity reading in the middle and another temperature reading on the right side or cool side. I bought a CHE 100watt my tank is about 40 gallon it is really big. I also put small cloth towels on top of the tank not near the bulbs but I think they work better than the cardboard I was using. I like your idea of the reflectix tape. My temps have gone up today it was 92 on the left side hot side and 82 on the cool side. The humidity was still only 40 45 percent. I have one live plant on the left side of tank hot side it is a spider plant. I am using the coco bark mix I bought at pet store I spray it down everyday, and I water the spider plant every other day. I do have to green tank carpet on the bottom but I like the idea of not having it and going all natural! You have givien me a lot of cool ideas. How many tortoises do you have? Thanks again for the great ideas and taking the time to talk me thru it all.:)
I think than once you get rid of the carpet and replace it with natural substrate, add moss, more plants, seal off the top your humidity issue will be fixed

Pearly

5 Year Member
What kind of moss should I buy? What a bout a basking rock? I saw one in the pet store today but it was really high up and I didn't think it was safe for my tortoise. Where did you get all of your great ideas from?
Many members use Sphagnum Moss. I like to put it or Reindeer Moss inside the hides. For the enclosure surfaces I'm still in the quest for the kind of moss that works best. I love the idea of live mosses, but they don't last. I think it's just too hot for them. I use untreated carpet moss, frog moss or mood moss which after being rehydrated look awesome for a while but most end up having to be turned into the substrate. And no basking rock. Insulate your tank and figure out what wattage you need to keep things warm

Pearly

5 Year Member
Guess I didn't address all of your questions, sorry. My tank is 40gal, I have 2 babies in there. This size was great when they both were just 2inches long, but they are growing and I'm already breaking ground for their outdoors enclosure. Also not sure if I told you how much I loved my Reptifogger. Those are little pricey but some members use inexpensive room humidifiers, I'm not handy and couldn't figure out how to channel the output into the enclose, so going with the reptifogger was the best expenditure for me. I only run it at breakfast time and with my "closed chamber" my humidity is never low.

Cali tortoise

I'll look for the moss today thanks. I won't buy the rock either.I will work on getting moss in tank and eventually get rid carpet.I have my own cactus garden outside so I'll break a few pieces off and plant in tank also. Once it stops raining here I am going to tear out my tomato garden and plant clover dandelions for tortoise outside daytime play area.I am so excited about it:)I also have 2 guinea pigs 1 rabbit and 2 small dogs. I love all my babiex.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I'll look for the moss today thanks. I won't buy the rock either.I will work on getting moss in tank and eventually get rid carpet.I have my own cactus garden outside so I'll break a few pieces off and plant in tank also. Once it stops raining here I am going to tear out my tomato garden and plant clover dandelions for tortoise outside daytime play area.I am so excited about it:)I also have 2 guinea pigs 1 rabbit and 2 small dogs. I love all my babiex.
Sounds like you've got a little menagerie Petco and pet smart have moss but they charge ridiculous prices for a tiny piece. You might have better luck at the garden section of your hardware store or even craft store, just make sure the moss has not been treated with any chemicals. I have yet to try ordering some on line. I have pretty much given up on the idea of growing mosses inside the tank. It's way too warm in there, so I just focus on the looks and humidity which moss help greatly with. If you live in cooler climate zone you may grow beautiful moss in the outdoor enclosure whenever you are ready for one.
Keep us posted and good luck