Baby Leopard with puffy eyes

KrisC

My baby Leopard tortoise has recently started to have puffy eyelids. He will open his eyes and is still eating and drinking but a bit lethargic. Any suggestions??

Attachments

• IMG_5981.jpg
    IMG_5981.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
More info needed please. If you are using a coil bulb, that's the problem. Otherwise, give us all the info you can about enclosure, diet, heat, lighting, temps, humdiity, substrate, etc.

KrisC

The enclosure is coconut substrate with a cypress mulch topping. I have a red light for nighttime and UVA/UVB light. Not coiled. There is always water and food. I keep the temps between 85-100 degrees. I have a hard time keeping the humidity up though. I mist the cage frequently and have added some aluminum foil to the top screen to help keep heat and moisture in. He eats field greens and I offer the moistened grassland tortoise pellets but I usually have to roll the field greens in them to get him to eat any at all. I also supply a cuttle bone for calcium but I do add calcium to the food a few times a week.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
85 all over temp is okay if humidity is 80% high temps without high humidity is too high of temps. Pour warm water into the corners of enclosure to get it wet and warm underneath. The 100 temp should only be the baskng area, not an over all temp, which is probably what you meant. Below in my post are Toms threads on housing leopards and Sulcatas, they are housed the same. Read them, they will help you to keep humidity up.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can you post a picture of your setup .

KrisC

I had moss at one end to hold the moisture, but the enclosure was too big to control anything. I put him back in his smaller enclosure yesterday and took the moss out. Correct about the 100 degrees in the basking area. It is cool in the house so I have been leaving the nighttime light on as well to help keep the temps up.

Attachments

• IMG_5996.JPG
    IMG_5996.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 67

sherminator

5 Year Member
The humid South
I will say my Leo didn't like the red or black "night" bulbs and is much happier with the Che at night that I now use.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The enclosure is coconut substrate with a cypress mulch topping. I have a red light for nighttime and UVA/UVB light. Not coiled. There is always water and food. I keep the temps between 85-100 degrees. I have a hard time keeping the humidity up though. I mist the cage frequently and have added some aluminum foil to the top screen to help keep heat and moisture in. He eats field greens and I offer the moistened grassland tortoise pellets but I usually have to roll the field greens in them to get him to eat any at all. I also supply a cuttle bone for calcium but I do add calcium to the food a few times a week.

What type and wattage UV bulb are you using?
What is the overnight low?
How old is this tortoise and how long have you had it?
Was this baby started in the typical dry way, or the newer humid/hydrated way?
What are "field greens"? Do you mean specific weeds?
Are you soaking daily?

I would replace the red bulb with a CHE set on a thermostat. Its really easy to do and works much better.