Baby Plastrons?

Rory

Hi all! Not to be the paranoid tortoise girl (again...) but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if anything is wrong with my baby's plastron/share pictures of their babies'. I can't seem to find any pictures of babies', and I feel like his is way thinner and more delicate than what little I've been able to find online. There was also a new, very little dent in it this morning that I don't recall being there before. I know I'm probably just worrying too much, but I'm so afraid that I'm feeding him wrong or something and I might make him sick or interfere with his growth into a healthy tort. :(
Ideas/reassurance/advice much appreciated!

tumblr_mzvoqtPZkf1rkbqfuo1_500.jpg

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Is the plastron soft? It looks kind of translucent in the picture?

Rory

Elohi said:
Is the plastron soft? It looks kind of translucent in the picture?
Yeah, it has some give to it. It's about that translucent in reality, too. Which I thought was normal but it seems like adult torts have very thick/solid underbellies not at all like that?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I've got very little experience with baby torts but my hatchlings have relatively firm plastrons. I obviously don't put a lot of pressure on them to check them though. What kind of tortoise is it? How old?

I hope the more experience keepers have some answers for you soon.

Oh I see now that this is the Greek section. Sorry lol.

Rory

He's an Ibera greek. I don't know exactly when he was born, unfortunately.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I'm always the paranoid tort girl. However I also have severe anxiety, which makes it worse :p

Rory

Aw! I can't imagine handling it with an actual anxiety issue on top of it all!

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Proper calcium intake, soaking and heat should solve his issue. aside from that, how old? looks really young... my baby still had a soft plastron after almost a year so the softness shouldnt worry you to much ^^

also humidity lol... forgot to mention...

milkandsam

5 Year Member
The same thing happened to my hatchling! I freaked out and worried about calcium intake,etc. Mine had the same Grey coloring as yours. I increased my calcium intake and for about a week gave my tort calcium every day. I also made sure I had mazuri and mixed calcium in with that (my tort wouldn't touch any leaves with calcium on it at first) and I also ordered some cactus pads to feed sparingly because they are fairly high in calcium. How long have you had your tort? Where did you get him from?? :) good luck!

Rory

Hey guys, I'm back with really incredibly not good follow up. Unfortunately I didn't see the last two comments advising for calcium intake, as I think that was the problem. But I'm really horribly sad to have to say that Rory passed away this morning. The vet said that he probably had a predisposition to difficulty with calcium absorption that was with him before he came to me just a month ago. I miss him awfully and I wish I'd taken him to a vet sooner, but now I know.
I might get another tort in the future, but I want to let some time pass, and if I do make the choice to start again, I want to make sure I have a more solid plan for things like feeding and healthcare than I did with Rory, because no animal ever deserves to die so young. He was a good tort, and I think, for the most part, he was happy, too. I'm going to miss him.
:(

canicke

We do the best we can. Dont beat yourself - but do be open to helping another when the time is right. Very sorry for your loss

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Sorry for your lost. It's always heart braking losing a love one. If you do plan on getting another tortoise, I say next time get a juvenile it a semi adult. Easier to care for. Once again sorry for your lost.