Baby question about eyes and belly dent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livblue

5 Year Member
rico.jpgI received my redfoot baby (appox 2 3/4 inches and 38-40 grams) from tortoise supply appox 3 weeks ago. He's a pretty sleepy little one but I think that's too be expected. I'll ask first about his eyes. He seems to have trouble or at least is slow to open his eyes. If I pick him up while he's been sleeping they remain closed until I dunk him in a little water or spray him. Just wondering if it's normal for it to take that long. I don't find him up wondering about hardly at all so I don't know if when he wakes up himself if he opens them any faster. They do not appear to be swollen or have a discharge.

Next the bottom/belly of his shell is soft and it seems to have a dent. Its no softer than the rest of his belly but its a good size depression. About the size and depth of your finger pad. I'm wondering if it's an actual internal issue or if it's from him sleeping on the bedding. The bedding is a mix of coconut little square chunks and Sphagnum moss. I was thinking of moving all of the coconut out of the sleeping hide and only using moss and see if the dent goes away. As I'm writing this I cant say that that dent is always in the same spot cause I just really noticed it happened the last 3 times I picked him up.

To help with other questions which may come and for tips of course. Feeding: He won't eat much when I offer him anything in the Springmix of greens from the store. I did pick up some mazauri tortoise diet because that appears to be what Tortoise supply used and he will eat 1/2 a pellet of that when soaked. I've also had success with the top off an asparagus, a raspberry, dandilion flower and leaves, aloe vera plant, I'm sure I've tested a couple other things. I plan to go to the store this weekend and get a catus pad and some other veggies and see what else he likes. I've put some calcium powder a couple times each week. I do soak him about 4-5 times a week for about 5-10mins and he always drinks. Whats weird is I've only saw 2 poops.

For bedding it's the cubed coconut and moss. I have a heat mat under the box and an above heater over the hide. I spray it down each day to keep the substrate damp. I do more sprays in the hide and less in other locations. There is a large flat rock to eat from a small shallow water source and a low watt uv light from above on one side.

I included a pic because I love seeing everyone's torts while browsing the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Livblu:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I don't keep redfoot tortoises, (well, I'm babysitting a couple of them, but I'm not an expert) so I'll defer to others to answer your questions. But I can address the substrate issue. I don't like the coconut husk chunks. I know folks use them, but in my opinion, baby tortoises find it hard to walk on. I like something smaller and smoother. So with babies, I use orchid bark (fine grade). It is clean fir bark, with no additives, ground up very small.

Livblue

5 Year Member
I'll take a look for a smoother substrate or see if I can grind this up some. I'm Steph from Plano, TX BTW

emysemys said:
Hi Livblu:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I don't keep redfoot tortoises, (well, I'm babysitting a couple of them, but I'm not an expert) so I'll defer to others to answer your questions. But I can address the substrate issue. I don't like the coconut husk chunks. I know folks use them, but in my opinion, baby tortoises find it hard to walk on. I like something smaller and smoother. So with babies, I use orchid bark (fine grade). It is clean fir bark, with no additives, ground up very small.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Eyes: too dry or the lights too bright or the wrong type. DO NOT use the coil type.
Diet: keep trying different things, follwo the diet on the redfoot section. try mushroom.
Dent: is it getting bigger or softer? If yes,, that is an issue.. if its has been there, then it might
just be normal, like a belly button. and should harden up in time. what kind of calcium and protien are you feeding?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome!
You came to the right place to get the right care for your baby!! I'm not an expert at all but posting pictures of your enclosure and of the little guy will help with your questions. As for substrate, coco coir is a great start. It can come in bricks and you soak it in hot water until it expands. When it's moist it's really fluffy and soft for babies. I actually pack my down a bit so it's easier to walk on. Someone may ask what kind of UV you are using. There are some harmful bulbs that can damage their eyes. Be ready for great advice.

Livblue

5 Year Member
I'm Steph from Dallas, TX

This is a link to the bulb I have. Its about 18-24 inches hung above the box. I have a Rubbermaid under the bed box. I put a sheet of glass under it to attach the heat mats to. Seems to get a good 80's on the surface in most of the enclosure. In the hide it's a bit warmer because I have the above heat coil which keeps the outside of the box warm and thus inside.

Repti Glo

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

You need to stop using that coil bulb, it may be the reason your tortoise is not doing so great..
A tube type bulb or just a regular bulb will be better than that coil bulb...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
get rid of that bulb.. and see if your baby acts better. the coil ones are causing major eye issues and blindness.
take it back to the store and exchange it. if you ahve to.. find the posts here about the issues, print them out.

Livblue

5 Year Member
Please suggest a bulb. I'm looking over the coil bulb documentation now.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Not all coil bulbs are created equal. Zoomed has a coil bulb that works just fine. At 18-24 inches, he's probably barely even getting much of that UVB unless you're using a aluminum reflector. The 5.0 typically only have an effective range of 12". With that said, I don't trust exo terra and would never buy one of their bulbs. But because only one of his eyes is having a problem, it leads me to believe it's not bulb related and more likely hydration related.

Does your redfoot have proper access to water that he can wallow in? Have you tried giving him soaks? I recently brought home a new Redfoot with similar problems to yours, and after a few days of warm soaks, proper temps, and good humidity, his eyes opened on their own just fine.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I avoid coil bulbs, irrespective of new successful usage, past experiences have led to issues (manufacturer defect said to be corrected), I don't want the risk.

These are good as a general all-day bulb:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009YHSWK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
You'll want to get a housing unit with a reflector, otherwise you lose a lot of UVB (link below).
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubereflectortests.htm

If your tort sees regular sunlight, great (you are in TX, so this seems likely)! If not, you'll want to consider a Mercury Vapor Bulb for 5-7 hrs/day. It's no substitute for sunlight, but it can help reduce the risk of Metabolic Bone Disease. Zoo Med has a 1-year warranty on their Power Sun Bulbs (you'll need a deep-dome fixture too):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I top my enclosure to keep humidity in, I had eye problems prior to doing this. I have a heat rope (http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes) covered with 2 inches of organic topsoil which is quite moist, then 2 inches of cypress mulch which is dry on top and moist just below the surface. I add ~ 500mL of water to the substrate 1-2 times per week in one spot, keeping the rest of the top layers of cypress dry (these guys get shell rot easily in constantly wet substrate). The heat rope warms the water and boosts humidity while the top to the enclosure keeps it in.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Final-Enclosure-for-2-CH-Redfoots#axzz1fyXiFvFa

I'll let others chime in on the diet aspect. Hopefully you'll hear from some more moderators and folks with more experience soon.

Livblue

5 Year Member
I am familiar with the power sun bulbs, I'll pick one of those up. I chose the other bulb thinking I was doing the right thing getting something less intense because some care sheets say redfoots being a jungle type tort may enjoy less sun. I see some choices made in good faith end in fail. Wish places like PetsMart wouldn't stock these coil bulbs if they cause problems because people like myself doing as much reading as possible and go to the store and try to make educated decisions and choose from the products available.

As far as soaks... yes there is available water at all times. Yes I'm doing warm soaks several times a week. And I'm spraying down the enclosure keeping things moist but not soggy.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum Steph!

I to, am from the Greater Dallas Area (Garland) and am also interested in starting out a Redfoot or 3. Where did you get your Tortoise? Locally? If so i'd like to know where because I'd rather buy a tort I can see than have an anonomous person send me one in the mail!

You have found the right area for all info you might want from Baby Aldabra, to Adult Sulcatas! Just ask and the answers will flow!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Livblue said:
I am familiar with the power sun bulbs, I'll pick one of those up. I chose the other bulb thinking I was doing the right thing getting something less intense because some care sheets say redfoots being a jungle type tort may enjoy less sun. I see some choices made in good faith end in fail. Wish places like PetsMart wouldn't stock these coil bulbs if they cause problems because people like myself doing as much reading as possible and go to the store and try to make educated decisions and choose from the products available.

As far as soaks... yes there is available water at all times. Yes I'm doing warm soaks several times a week. And I'm spraying down the enclosure keeping things moist but not soggy.

The 5.0 UVB tubes work great, I use a 10.0 because it's positioned higher than 12 inches in my enclosure. The coil bulb may be okay, but it has been known to cause issues in the past and since you're having eye issues....

Be sure your humidity is at least 60%, that could be an alternative issue with the eyes.

Livblue

5 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome. I got mine from tortoisesupply.com I also wish there was a place to pick one out locally. I live over in Plano and of course once I placed my order I went to Petsmart to set up my enclosure before he arrived. While there I found out they sold them there. I've got mixed emotions buying from them however the ones they had were active and looked good. They ran them on sale for $55 for thanksgiving so they may have been freshly stocked up at that time thus looked good. They were all about 5-6" Normally the price is $120 I think.

Zamric said:
Welcome to the Forum Steph!

I to, am from the Greater Dallas Area (Garland) and am also interested in starting out a Redfoot or 3. Where did you get your Tortoise? Locally? If so i'd like to know where because I'd rather buy a tort I can see than have an anonomous person send me one in the mail!

You have found the right area for all info you might want from Baby Aldabra, to Adult Sulcatas! Just ask and the answers will flow!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Basic issues:

Eyes won't open- this could just be because it was sleeping, or still stressed from the big changes (they often hide and don't eat well for about a week after any big event). Too bright is a possibility as is too dry of a habitat.

Dent in plastron- there is always a bit of springiness in a baby's plastron. As long as it is 'springy'- resists being pressed and pushes right back out, it is no big deal. If you are talking about an actual indentation, almost a crease, that is pretty common as well. Baby shells often have unusual creases in them from the egg.

Coiled bulb- the problem is the focused light shooting out the tip. Re-position the bulb so the sides light up the tank and things will be OK while you learn about other options. Also- provide lots of shade- live plants, pieces of foil on the tank to simulate leaves, etc.

Substrate- I do prefer a 'finer' substrate for babies, even plain cypress mulch with he bigger chunks removed. I am not as much of a fan of coconut coir or sphagnum moss as many others are but it works for a lot of folks.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I shop at Petsmart for most all my pet needs (We have LOTS-O-PETS at the school I work at) I by fish an birds at Petsmart because of the high turnover rate of the 2... but I dont think I would buy any of thier Reptiles.... I just dont like the way most are kept at any big chain pet store! Too many private breeders with better selections and much better care!

LindaF

5 Year Member
Howdy. We are neighbors, I live in Carrollton. I would suggest a visit to the vet for an exam. It will put your mind to rest if there is a problem or not. When I got my baby almost 2 years ago that is what I did. Also, if he does have an respiratory infection or any other problem you will catch it early.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
LindaF said:
Howdy. We are neighbors, I live in Carrollton. I would suggest a visit to the vet for an exam. It will put your mind to rest if there is a problem or not. When I got my baby almost 2 years ago that is what I did. Also, if he does have an respiratory infection or any other problem you will catch it early.

If you go to the vet, don't get any vitamin injections. If they're concerned with a Vitamin A deficiency for your torts eyes, just soak the little one in some warm water with carrot/sweet potato baby food. Do this for a few days 15-20 minutes at a time and they'll be fine on Vit A.

Status
Not open for further replies.