Baby red eared slider

Shama

5 Year Member
Hello,

I recently got a baby red eared slider. I went to the petshop to get him a UV light, but they are too expensive.
I was wondering if natural sunlight will help them grow? I mean in the wild thats what they get- The sun...

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
There is nothing better than natural sunlight!
They are big baskers in the sun. They also need a platform to crawl up on, dry off and bag the warmth of heat/ sun.
Can you post a picture of your baby and it's enclosure?
We will help you, if you need it.
:)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Just remember the UV light that they need will NOT pass through glass or screens on windows! So setting his enclosure by a window will NOT give him what he needs.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The best way to keep them is in an outdoor pond. Fenced off so they can't xscape. You will need to build a cover so predators can't eat them.

Shama

5 Year Member
There is nothing better than natural sunlight!
They are big baskers in the sun. They also need a platform to crawl up on, dry off and bag the warmth of heat/ sun.
Can you post a picture of your baby and it's enclosure?
We will help you, if you need it.
:)

Hello, this is his tank. He is the size of a bottle top- Is this tank big enough for him?
I haven't seen him eat or use the basking area yet :/ The basking platform is quite accessible, so he should be able to get on top of it.

Attachments

• Chelsea's Tank.jpg
    Chelsea's Tank.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 24

Shama

5 Year Member
Oooh, I was also wondering, can I line his tank with lucky bamboo to give it a nice natural feel plus give him lots of space to hide and explore?
I've seen videos where people put bamboo in their tanks but want to confirm before I do anything

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Only edible plants should go in the tank. Don't take up space with decor. It just makes tank cleaning harder.

Turtles need to bask. The temoerature of the basking area needs to be higher than that of the water.