Baby Red Foot Diet

sullygirl85

Location (City and/or State)
APG, Maryland
Ok so I am reading a lot about different things to feed baby red foots. My son just aquired one so I want to make sure we are going to be feeding it the right things. I know that they need protein, someone suggested cat food, but that doesnt seen very healthy. I read then giving him a hard boiled egg chopped up once a month. Is this a good thing for a little one about two and a half inches long? Is that enough? Also as far as greens go they suggest collards and kale on a regular basis. I have a sulcata and i know grass is best for it so is this not the case for red foots? I know that red foots need fruits two to three times a week so I am sitting here trying to plan out a diet for him so when we get him tomorrow i will be ready but i want to make sure I am doing this right :). You guys are the best experts I know so I figured I would ask you :). Also I am looking at the vitamins and I have rep-cal and the rep cal multi vitmin i am alternating every other day is this good as well? Thanks again for all your help! Hope you have a most pleasant day!

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Make sure you have a good UVB florescent lamp. I use the big long one with the 10.0 zoo med bulb. Also baby redfoots need Humidity, i think about 80% and a damp enclosure, I like Cypress Mulch and repti bark and you can get a mister. Some people have different views on whether a basking lamp is needed. Some use CHE. I use 100 watt basking lamp and my redfoot seems to enjoy it alot.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There are very few things that keeping a Sulcata and a Redfoot are the same.
Totally different needs.
My Redfoot all live outside.
I would be feeding a baby Romaine, kale, endive, hibiscus leaves and a little Mazuri with some mushroom or fruit once a week.
The only protein that I feed mine (They also eat bugs and worms outside) is some premium dry dog food wetted and mixed into some Mazuri about twice a month. (Some people feed pinky mice, etc.)
Also, you'll want to set up a closed chamber habitat for a young Redfoot. If you set up a closed chamber correctly, you'll find that a mister and a basking light will not be needed. You want temps from 78-88 and humidity 80-100% in a 24 hour period.
Like TMartin510 says, everyone has their own favorite methods.
These are mine.

sullygirl85

APG, Maryland
Make sure you have a good UVB florescent lamp. I use the big long one with the 10.0 zoo med bulb. Also baby redfoots need Humidity, i think about 80% and a damp enclosure, I like Cypress Mulch and repti bark and you can get a mister. Some people have different views on whether a basking lamp is needed. Some use CHE. I use 100 watt basking lamp and my redfoot seems to enjoy it alot.

I had a good UVB until i went to turn it on this morning and the thing was burnt out. So as soon as he gets here I will be running to the store and grabbing it and zooming it back home :) I of course will be soaking and feeding him promptly first. I do have it set up with a UVB and a basking lamp and temps will be about what you mentioned :)

sullygirl85

APG, Maryland
So no fruit for babies? I was reading and they say no.. I got home today and he weighs only 34 grams and has a small dent on the front of his shell... Is this normal?

sullygirl85

APG, Maryland

So no fruit? I am trying to write down a weekly diet for him and I know I will be alternating vitamins and calcium rep cal and the vitamin version of rep cal every other day and then this morning he ate grassland tortoise pellets (which I know aren't ideal but I waiting for the mazuri to get here with the Marion food mix I ordered) with red leaf lettuce, kale, and collard greens. Is this good?? I will also be growing sulcata mix grass and I can grab some grass from the backyard if need be. I just haven't read anything that states they like grass like sulcatas. I really want the best for him so all advice will be taken :)

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
So no fruit for babies? I was reading and they say no.. I got home today and he weighs only 34 grams and has a small dent on the front of his shell... Is this normal?
Sometimes they have dents from being in the egg. Mine was born with a little dent as well...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440721068.854810.jpg you can see it near his head... Then here it is now...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440721155.760937.jpg still there but the rest of him has grown! :p

Lexiii

CT
So no fruit? I am trying to write down a weekly diet for him and I know I will be alternating vitamins and calcium rep cal and the vitamin version of rep cal every other day and then this morning he ate grassland tortoise pellets (which I know aren't ideal but I waiting for the mazuri to get here with the Marion food mix I ordered) with red leaf lettuce, kale, and collard greens. Is this good?? I will also be growing sulcata mix grass and I can grab some grass from the backyard if need be. I just haven't read anything that states they like grass like sulcatas. I really want the best for him so all advice will be taken :)
Mine won't eat grass. The mix of greens is good. I started giving mine a taste of fruit when he was a couple months old. He doesn't have much interest though. I've heard that rf's are supposed to love fruit but Tyrion didn't get the memo, lol. Mushrooms once a week or so he likes. He will take a few bites of a banana every few weeks.

SouthernRFT

Mine love fruit and will eat a lot of it. They also like repti sticks moistened (for protein), zoo med forest diet occasionally, and hibiscus leaves and flowers. I will also give them some romaine if I am in a hurry.

Keep in mind heavy fruit and protein diets require lots of hydration. Also proteins high in fat can possibly cause liver issues so choose low fat animal protein sources. Don't forget humidity and hydration for a nice smooth shell in the future. I have three that were born in April.

sullygirl85

APG, Maryland
Mine love fruit and will eat a lot of it. They also like repti sticks moistened (for protein), zoo med forest diet occasionally, and hibiscus leaves and flowers. I will also give them some romaine if I am in a hurry.

Keep in mind heavy fruit and protein diets require lots of hydration. Also proteins high in fat can possibly cause liver issues so choose low fat animal protein sources. Don't forget humidity and hydration for a nice smooth shell in the future. I have three that were born in April.

I personally was thinking a cut up hard boiled deshelled egg one a week for protein. Is that good?

SouthernRFT

I personally was thinking a cut up hard boiled deshelled egg one a week for protein. Is that good?

Yes but variety is key try to find some other sources as well. Chicken is a good low fat choice too, mine will eat it raw as well just messier. If any kids are handling them I wouldn't use any raw meats for safety reasons.

Lexiii

CT
Mine prefers earthworms. Hard to find lately though.

sullygirl85

APG, Maryland
Yes but variety is key try to find some other sources as well. Chicken is a good low fat choice too, mine will eat it raw as well just messier. If any kids are handling them I wouldn't use any raw meats for safety reasons.

So I can shred cooked chicken? Like boiled chicken? I just really want to stray from dog and cat food. There are so many yucky additives in some of them