Baby red foot diet

AquaIce

Location (City and/or State)
Dunlap, IN
OK so any experts on here have some advise? I have seen so many different diets for red foot what to fee and what to not. I need protein ideas and what do you feed besides eggs he isn't a fan of them as well as fruits and veggies. I have been going spring mix and fruits once a week but the lists are so limited and on here a few I have seen there didn't get any responses to there questions. I gave a meal worm the other day but now I am reading not to. Also I have been told no calcium powder because it can be to much so whats do you guys recommend for protein? A like to what you guys would go by would be great

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
OK so any experts on here have some advise? I have seen so many different diets for red foot what to fee and what to not. I need protein ideas and what do you feed besides eggs he isn't a fan of them as well as fruits and veggies. I have been going spring mix and fruits once a week but the lists are so limited and on here a few I have seen there didn't get any responses to there questions. I gave a meal worm the other day but now I am reading not to. Also I have been told no calcium powder because it can be to much so whats do you guys recommend for protein? A like to what you guys would go by would be great
I forgot to add I also mix softened Mazuri® Tortoise Food

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Feed greens and weeds every day. With that feed a piece of fruit or a piece of mushroom the size of your torts head every other day. Do in a week it gets 3 pieces of mushroom and 3 pieces of fruit size of head. For protein feed one pinkie or a couple of earthworms per wk at the most from 6 months old onwards.
Your tort can eat spinach or kale as a small part of the salad mix, don't worry, a bit of anything is not going to do any harm.
Sprinkle calcium/D3 powder on food once a week. Offer cuttlebone 24/7 in the enclosure.

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
For protein feed one pinkie or a couple of earthworms per wk at the most from 6 months old onwards.
I can not do pinkies lol are earth worms the only live insects or can they do any soft work like wax-worms?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Wax worms and meal worms have a poor calcium to phosphorus ratio unless you gut load them.
Low fat cat meat with D3, earthworms, slugs, crushed snails, scrambled egg, cooked chicken, beef heart, shrimp, mackerel are all things that are fed for protein. I raised 3 that are now nearly 4yrs old that are very smooth, these were fed one pinkie per week and now get chicks with the adults once or twice a month.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Make sure you soak your baby daily and don't use any lighting that dries your tort out. You can feed the best diet in the world, if your tort grows dry it will pyramid.

AquaIce

Dunlap, IN
Make sure you soak your baby daily and don't use any lighting that dries your tort out. You can feed the best diet in the world, if your tort grows dry it will pyramid.

Won’t the pinkies have bones they can’t digest? I mean if they can’t digest mealworm shells?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Won’t the pinkies have bones they can’t digest? I mean if they can’t digest mealworm shells?
I've never seen any bones come out in poop. I believe it's the skin of mealworms that make them pass through whole, just like sweetcorn does.
There's nothing wrong with feeding mealworms, but I wouldn't rely on them for a protein source.