Baby red foot inactive

Ihsan

Good day everyone!

I've got a baby red foot around 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately she's very inactive, sleeping all the time and doesn't even open her eyes when I carry her in the afternoon. I'm soaking her daily for like 20 minutes in warm water, and her enclosure has sun light and a basking area. During these 2 weeks she ate maybe once or twice maximum. I'm providing all kinds of food known to be eaten by a tortoise. I really don't know what to do to make her eat and be active. Please help me if you have any ideas or thoughts about that.
Thank you!

Diamond

Location (City and/or State)
phoenix,az
I don't have a red foot, but have a Russian hatchling. When you say she has sunlight, do you mean a UVB light or sun coming through a window? Sunlight will not penetrate through the glass What are the temps in her enclosure? How long are you keeping her lights on? her lights should b e on 12-14 hrs a day. Many people recommend soaking the baby in carrot baby food with some water to thin it out a little, this will give her some nutrients if she is not eating. Keep in mind that they won't eat if they are not warm enough. What part of the country are you located in? Can she be out in the sunshine for 30 min or so a day?

Hopefully someone with a red foot can give you more info regarding this species. Just trying to get you some info to get started.

Ihsan

Thank you @Diamond for this detailed reply. Yes I meant UVB light, not direct sunlight. I have them on about 12 hours a day. The enclosure in general has a temperature of 75, but in the basking area it's around 90. Unfortunately it's snowing here in Wisconsin so I can't take her out. I like the idea of carrot baby food, I'll do it.

Diamond

phoenix,az
Bump the overall temp to 85. I'm looking to see if there is a red foot care sheet in the archives. I know it can be stressful to have a baby who is not eating. It could be too that it's winter and I think they just instinctively know and slow down. My Russian who is a good little eater has slowed down to only once a day from twice a day and we live in Phoenix. When she arrived here in Sept it was still hitting 100 and now we are in the 60's to 73 and she needs to be woken up to eat. That happened as soon as the days got shorter and colder. Try the carrot baby food soaks and warm her up and hopefully that will help.

Diamond

phoenix,az
Thank you @Diamond for this detailed reply. Yes I meant UVB light, not direct sunlight. I have them on about 12 hours a day. The enclosure in general has a temperature of 75, but in the basking area it's around 90. Unfortunately it's snowing here in Wisconsin so I can't take her out. I like the idea of carrot baby food, I'll do it.

Diamond

phoenix,az
If you go to the top right hand side of this page, you will see a search bar. Type red foot care sheet and it will pull it up for you. I can't figure out how to attach it in this post for you. good luck and keep us posted.

Ihsan

That's really helpful! Thank you @Diamond I really appreciate it. I'll rise the temperature and try the baby carrot thing, hopefully it'll work like a charm.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Carrots are good, but you should also add a small amount of well-soaked Mazuri totoise chow, available from pet stores, but cheaper at feed stores. Our juvenile Redfoots go nuts over it!

Ken