Baby Red Foot night time temp?

jbrass

Location (City and/or State)
Lenoir City, TN
Has to be atleast 80 degrees at night? It isn’t that warm in south florida at night in the middle of summer, or in Venezuela. I’ve noticed a lot of reactionary, exaggerated information on this forum. Average summer temperature in Caracas at night is 68 degrees. Do you think all the hatchling redfoots find heated enclosures at night in the jungle? Some of the healthiest redfoots there are are raised outdoors in high humidity where temperatures drop to the mid 70s atleast at night, if not the 60s. I’ve kept my hatchling redfoots outdoors in the summer in Tennessee where temperatures drop well below 70 sometimes. And the humidity is 70 to 80 percent. I’ve never had an issue. Do some more research and lay off the drama.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Has to be atleast 80 degrees at night? It isn’t that warm in south florida at night in the middle of summer, or in Venezuela. I’ve noticed a lot of reactionary, exaggerated information on this forum. Average summer temperature in Caracas at night is 68 degrees. Do you think all the hatchling redfoots find heated enclosures at night in the jungle? Some of the healthiest redfoots there are are raised outdoors in high humidity where temperatures drop to the mid 70s atleast at night, if not the 60s. I’ve kept my hatchling redfoots outdoors in the summer in Tennessee where temperatures drop well below 70 sometimes. And the humidity is 70 to 80 percent. I’ve never had an issue. Do some more research and lay off the drama.
The OP was asking about optimal conditions for an inside enclosure. So we offered optimum conditions.
My Redfoot all live outdoors. That's totally different. They do fine at night down to 55. Even cooler inside of one of their heated houses.
But I'd never tell a new keeper that 55 and below is "fine".
To me, that would've been irresponsible. Lower than the 70s is not ideal. In an inside enclosure, you can and should make things ideal.
I feel that he or she received good information.
The optimal temperature is between 76 and 86.
That can easily be achieved in an indoors enclosure and in my opinion.....five years later....its still a good and responsible answer. Most indoors enclosures are far too "wet" to be safe at lower temperatures.
I live in tropical south Florida. It's nearly ideal here most of the year. In the wintertime its cooler. But also far less damp and far less humid. That's part of why it works.
I respond in a way that I think will offer the most help for that poster's situation.
Each situation is different.
So for an indoors enclosure. You have 100% control of everything.
80 is perfect. Day and night.

Last edited:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I’m surprised by how much arguing there is on this forum, kind of alarming.
The issue is often due to old information versus new. Some folks are so set in their ways they would rather endanger a torts life than make a change. BTW I have no claim on always being right I get absolutely giggly hen I am mostly right!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I’m surprised by how much arguing there is on this forum, kind of alarming.
If you come looking for arguments. You'll find them.
But they're actually very rare here.
It's not an unfriendly forum.
Looking over your few other posts, it looks like a pattern.

Last edited:

jjrene1991

Sacramento
+1
I use an under tank mounted 15 watt heat "rope". It heats the substrate gradually and never gets too hot to touch. Just warm. The under tank heat pads are indeed dangerous. I had one that overheated and burst the bottom of my tank when water touched the glass.
it would have cooked a tortoise for sure.
The ropes just gently warm the damp substrate and slowly release humidity through the top layer of substrate.
This is just what I use. It's the only source of heat I require in my closed chamber in my 73 degree house.
Do you have a link for the ropes? Also where do you put them in the substrate? 2, 3 inches down?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Do you have a link for the ropes? Also where do you put them in the substrate? 2, 3 inches down?
No
And I no longer advocate using them.
It's better to heat from above because even with such a relatively safe under enclosure form of heat, there is still a need for ventilation underneath the enclosure and the substrate insulates most of the warmth from having much effect on the enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
+1
I use an under tank mounted 15 watt heat "rope". It heats the substrate gradually and never gets too hot to touch. Just warm. The under tank heat pads are indeed dangerous. I had one that overheated and burst the bottom of my tank when water touched the glass.
it would have cooked a tortoise for sure.
The ropes just gently warm the damp substrate and slowly release humidity through the top layer of substrate.
This is just what I use. It's the only source of heat I require in my closed chamber in my 73 degree house.
This information is almost exactly 6 years old. And like a lot of the older information out there, my thoughts have changed on heating.
Heating is best coming from above the animal. Not from below.
I never was able to get this method to work just right. And I no longer reccomend doing it.
Several posters on this thread have now disappeared from the forum. A lot has happened to this forum and to the hobby in 6 years.