Baby red foot tortoise lost his nails and badly damaged his shell, what should I do?

Vxnusauds

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I recently started to own tortoises as I got two baby Redfoots about two months ago. They are both about 2 months old. It was going great until just today I noticed one of the babies front two nails were gone and bloody, and it’s shell is cracking and severe damage was done to the edge of the shell and underbelly of the shell. I quickly moved him to a secluded area where it was softer and wouldn’t hurt it’s damaged feet. I’m very confused on how this could’ve happened in such a short time as just of yesterday it was perfectly fine. I am now panicking about what I should do, planning to take the poor thing to the vet but due to my current financial situation, I do not think I can afford it. Please help.

Attachments

• 8C3C3674-8FAC-4E3C-BEE0-50E721A922BC.jpeg
    8C3C3674-8FAC-4E3C-BEE0-50E721A922BC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 84

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I recently started to own tortoises as I got two baby Redfoots about two months ago. They are both about 2 months old. It was going great until just today I noticed one of the babies front two nails were gone and bloody, and it’s shell is cracking and severe damage was done to the edge of the shell and underbelly of the shell. I quickly moved him to a secluded area where it was softer and wouldn’t hurt it’s damaged feet. I’m very confused on how this could’ve happened in such a short time as just of yesterday it was perfectly fine. I am now panicking about what I should do, planning to take the poor thing to the vet but due to my current financial situation, I do not think I can afford it. Please help.
How are you housing this tortoise, indoors, outdoors? It looks like damage from an animal like a Rat possibly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If there is no way another animal got to it then rhe only culprit could be the other tort.
Keep them seperate specially seeing this one needs to heal. Clean the wounds with warm water and put some antibiotic cream in the wound and keep them clean.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hope not, our tortoises and dogs are kept in different rooms, they’ve never interacted with each other without me supervising them.
Keep the dogs away period. Their only interest in a tort is as a chew toy. There is no need for them to ever have to cross paths.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
In my opinion, there’s no way another 2 month old tortoise could do that kind of damage to the shell. There’s pieces missing and the 2nd last scute in the middle of the tortoises carapace has damage to it as well. The tortoise looks chewed on in several places. I can see what appears to be fur where the shell is damaged too. Something got to your tortoise.

Vxnusauds

Los Angeles
In my opinion, there’s no way another 2 month old tortoise could do that kind of damage to the shell. There’s pieces missing and the 2nd last scute in the middle of the tortoises carapace has damage to it as well. The tortoise looks chewed on in several places. I can see what appears to be fur where the shell is damaged too. Something got to your tortoise.
Ah I’m very worried now. Are there any type of medication you suggest that would help with the healing process for the damaged shell?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Alright, will do. Do you know how long it would take for new nails to grow back?
Tortoises do everything slow. Just worry about keeping infection out and whatever may have chewed it out too.
The antibiotic cream is all that's needed and keeping it clean

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Right, it's not likely the other tortoise. But the OP says nothing else could have gotten to it, so thats the only culprit left.

Sandy W

Scotts valley CA
I don’t know if yours are outside but, mine looked like that after a ground squirrel got to him. Check your enclosure. Btw mine is now fine. I put neosporin on his feet and kept him in a sterile container until it healed over. He does have deformed front feet though. ( it is about 5 years ago that it happened )

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Ah I’m very worried now. Are there any type of medication you suggest that would help with the healing process for the damaged shell?
You can use neospirin, a triple antibiotic, or its generic version you can find at places like Walmart. Just don't use the "pain relief" version. You can apply it both to the shell & it's feet. Be sure to keep soaking the poor thing as well as keeping it at 85 degrees 24/7 & keeping it isolated from the other tort