Baby red foot tortoise sick?

crab king

Location (City and/or State)
South Korea
ive bin keping my baby red foot tortoise for a few months. He is very active, but I think his eyes are sunken and his skin on his head is dry. Also, when he closes his eyes, they appear swollen and white. Is he sick? And how should I treat him?

IMG_2131.JPG IMG_2132.JPG IMG_2133.JPG IMG_2135.JPG IMG_2136.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a really nice closed chamber. Do you have a humidity gauge? It should read anywhere above 80%. And the temperature should always be about 80-85F, day and night. Soak him daily for about 15 minutes.

But I THINK your problem may be the light. It looks like you're using one of those new Compact Fluorescent bulbs (the spiral-shaped bulb)??? You need to discontinue using that light and get a tube type UVB instead.

crab king

South Korea
That's a really nice closed chamber. Do you have a humidity gauge? It should read anywhere above 80%. And the temperature should always be about 80-85F, day and night. Soak him daily for about 15 minutes.

But I THINK your problem may be the light. It looks like you're using one of those new Compact Fluorescent bulbs (the spiral-shaped bulb)??? You need to discontinue using that light and get a tube type UVB instead.

Thanks! Ill change the light and ill soak him, but the weather is too hot at my area...
Do you have any suggestions about keeping the temperature lower?
And I have a humidty gauge but its actually for baking....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can turn off the light and just have the ambient light from your apartment. That will cool it down some.