Baby red foot tortoise

GustavoParaiso20

Good night
I have built this setup 2 months ago and with wood for my baby red foot tortoise
The measures are
-Length 80cm
-Width 50cm
-Height 5cm
They have also a thermostat, a day night lamp controller and an uva uvb lamp.
The food was given all days and all day it's a different food.
The calcium supplement is given only one time in the week together to the earth worms.
The setup is placed on a place with direct sun.
In your opinion it's good?
Thank you.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Good night
I have built this setup 2 months ago and with wood for my baby red foot tortoise
The measures are
-Length 80cm
-Width 50cm
-Height 5cm
The calcium supplement is given only one time in the week together to the earth worms.
Thank you.

Could you please post a picture?
I would line the wood with pond liner or a shower curtain to help maintain humidity.
image.jpg

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
5cm seems very shallow. Where are you located? Some countries are drier and colder than others and babies will need to be housed differently. Yes pictures are a big help for us here to supply you with the best advise...

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Good night
The measures are
-Length 80cm
-Width 50cm
-Height 5cm
Thank you.
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

I agree with what members suggested: pictures are necessary.;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gustavo, and welcome to the Forum!

At the bottom of your screen, click on "upload a file." Then choose which picture you want and follow the directions on the screen.

I agree the sides need to be a bit taller so he can't climb out. Your baby redfooted tortoise will need a more humid environment, so it might be a good idea to figure out a way to cover the habitat.

GustavoParaiso20

Here the photo of the setup
I'm located in Brazilian northeast.
I don't remembered the pond liner in the day I built the setup, and I will use because the way I use is all morning I mist the terrarium.
image.jpeg
Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think your baby would have a pretty hard time getting water. It would be a good idea to change out both your dishes and use plant saucers instead. You can sink them down even with the substrate so the baby can walk right in. They love to sit in the water.

Yes, that baby can climb right out of that enclosure and fall on the floor if it tried. Nice-looking habitat, but not really safe. It looks like it's set up outside, right? So what is the overall temperature in there? They need to be about 85F degrees in order to digest their food.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Can the corner water dish be dug into the dirt further? If so that may work but really the terracotta plant saucers work soooo well. They're perfect for feed too. That way the baby isn't getting a mouthful of dirt with every bite of food....here is a pic of what I'm talking about. They come in different sizes and depths so are useful for all ages of torts. And definitely the sides are too low. It would be aweful if you came home and he was upside down on the floor. This size "enclosure" won't be big enough for long. He will grow... But for now it's fine except for hieght. Hmmmm I just reread your post. How many babies do you have? later you'll Probably have to separate them if you have 2. Not good in pairs.

Attachments

• IMG_20151120_130643.jpg
    IMG_20151120_130643.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31

GustavoParaiso20

Thank you for the tips
I will put the terracotta plant saucers.and about the feed dishes it's because don't appeared in this photo but I have two and the corner water dish can be dug and I will down more it.
About the temperature I live in Brazilian northeast and in Brazilian northeast the temperature is 82 to 87 Fahrenheit all the day.
I only have one baby red foot in the terrarium and lives to a baby house gecko and a with him.
And about the height I will increase the wall.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
If you live in Brazil you shouldn't worry about temperature and humidity.

GustavoParaiso20

Sorry people I forgot the post because I was traveling to USA, and in my travel I bought the things you recomend to me I increased the walls, put the plant saucer, mist two times a day to increase the humidity, I dug more and I put more fake plants to retain the humidity.
Here' s a new photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Ahh, how aesthetically pleasing. :D

Do you have a humidity gauge?

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you said, did you say you were keeping him with a gecko or another RF?

GustavoParaiso20

Hello
About the humidity gauge I have the one is a humidity gauge and a termometer in the same time it's behind the log.
The gecko is a common house gecko but I'm not keeping they together and I only have one red foot in this enclosure