Baby red foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois
My baby red foot just sleeps all day and doesnt eat anything unless i wake him up. Is this just him adjusting to his new home? I got him saturday

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They do sleep a lot. However, they should wake on their own to eat and wonder a little before going back to sleep. You need to double check your temps and humidity. Post them here and someone can tell you where you may need to raise or lower them. Also, a pic of your enclosure and your soaking routine would also help us. Anything you can think up of to tell us about the husbandry of him.

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
Ok the temp during the day is 85 and at night is 75, humidity is something ive had trouble keeping up. Its anywhere from 50-80 throughout the day. I soak him monday wednesday and friday, i think it is because he is new and.adjusting but not sure. He did wake up by himself and walk around for a couple of minutes but went back to sleep like he has been all day except for when we went to the vet, he was walking around then. And he didnt eat anything either.

jeffstort

5 Year Member
See if he is up in the morning my russian is always up at eight I clock on the spot because its almost like his routine

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
I do, he is in the same exact spot he was 14 hours ago, saturday when i brought him home he ran around and ate then slept for a long long time. Sunday he was still sleeping from saturday until 3 then i woke him up, he ate a lot then went back to bed. Monday he slept unil 2, but i woke him up to give him a warm soak. He was very energetic and a lot that day. Today he slept until 11 because i had to wake him up to go to the vet. When we got home at noon he slept all day until now and didnt eat and will sleep all the way into tomorow.

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I think it might just be adjusting to his home like you said

theelectraco

5 Year Member
You need to raise your night temps to a minimum of 80. I keep mine at 84 day and 82 night. 75 with high humidity is asking for a cold.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
How much light do you have? They don't like bright lights. You should have three temps. Worm side,cool side ,a hot spot or basking spot. If he is staying on the cool side your temps are to high . What are you using to check your temps. Heat gun or thermostat? Are the thermostat set at tortoise hight ? A picture says one thousand words. Please post a pick there are some good keepers on here but it will help with pictures of your enclosure. As far as humidity goes ade some plants cover half of the top with something to help hold in humidity. There is alot of stuff that can be making you tort. hide

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
I did raise my temps, i will have a picture posted sometime tomorow because i cant take a picture right now. It is not super bright and i do know red foots dont like bright lights so i got a heat emitter and a.uva/uvb bulb. There is shade, a warm side which is like 88° or 89° and the cool side is like 83° or 84°, i have a thermostat at tortoise level. Thank you for the idea of plants and shade i will use that. I will keep you updated to see if he gets used to his new home or if it is actually a problem.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
theelectraco said:
You need to raise your night temps to a minimum of 80. I keep mine at 84 day and 82 night. 75 with high humidity is asking for a cold.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
No way. 80 is way too hot at night. Although they don't have a massive heat drop in the wild, we're still talking a -13 drop at night in the open. Most mornings in the Amazon would start at around 75 or slightly below so 75 is a good night time temp.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
FLINTUS said:
theelectraco said:

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
No way. 80 is way too hot at night. Although they don't have a massive heat drop in the wild, we're still talking a -13 drop at night in the open. Most mornings in the Amazon would start at around 75 or slightly below so 75 is a good night time temp.

Well that is good to know. I've stated my temps numerous times and no one has ever mentioned them being too warm at night. I'll have to adjust my thermostat tomorrow.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
theelectraco said:
FLINTUS said:
theelectraco said:

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Well that is good to know. I've stated my temps numerous times and no one has ever mentioned them being too warm at night. I'll have to adjust my thermostat tomorrow.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

I don't allow my temps to drop below 80 at night, haven't had a problem yet. Though there may be a -13 drop at night in the tropics, we're failing to discuss microclimates. Perhaps young tortoises are in areas that don't drop as low as the air temps at night. This is all speculation, but microclimate is an important factor to consider here.

Personally, I don't want the risk of my young redfoots becoming sick because I dropped the temps below 80 on the cool, humid side of their enclosures. It's personal preference.

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
Im sure not every climate red foots live in is the same. Some areas may stay above 80 all day, others may drop below 70. Your tortoises can probably thrive either way. Ive heard they can do well in tempuratures as low as 70 at night as long as they have a warm spot and as high as 90 during the day as long as they have shade and water!

Drop below 80, sorry typo

Here are pics, let the constructive critisism beging.

Attachments

• 1370443360708.jpg
    1370443360708.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 1370443372753.jpg
    1370443372753.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 1370443390659.jpg
    1370443390659.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 1370443399559.jpg
    1370443399559.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 62

theelectraco

5 Year Member
loyolaboy98 said:
Im sure not every climate red foots live in is the same. Some areas may stay above 80 all day, others may drop below 70. Your tortoises can probably thrive either way. Ive heard they can do well in tempuratures as low as 70 at night as long as they have a warm spot and as high as 90 during the day as long as they have shade and water!

Drop below 80, sorry typo

Here are pics, let the constructive critisism beging.

Substrate looks very very dry. I would add a plastic liner to the bottom of the enclosure and add some water to it. Also, with a Redfoot, you're gunna have to cover the top of the wire to get the correct humidity.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
I just covered part of it it wasnt in the pic sorry, and one problem i had was that subrate it cant trap any moisture for more than 5 minutes.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Are you adding water to it? When I first got my Zoo Med house I can't addi after to the substrate cus it would dry up then all of a sudden it started leaking allllllll over the place so I put in a liner, got the bedding to the proper dampness, and created a "closed chamber" by covering the top with foil completely. Here's what mine look like now after a few mods. I was unhappy hat with the foil covering the top I could not see my tort or access it easily anyways so I added doors.ImageUploadedByTortForum1370444479.526065.jpg

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Last edited by a moderator:

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
Wow that looks amazing! I was thinking about adding a little window in the front like that, how much of the top should i cover and with what? That is the coconut fiber that im using and i squirt it a lot with water but it always dries out.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
loyolaboy98 said:
Wow that looks amazing! I was thinking about adding a little window in the front like that, how much of the top should i cover and with what? That is the coconut fiber that im using and i squirt it a lot with water but it always dries out.

I used foil cus it's cheap and disposable. Some people buy plexiglass and have it cut to fit wi holes for the lamps. Spraying the substrate isn't gunna do much if it is that dry. You need to dump a pitcher of water in there and stir it, but without a proper liner it will leak everywhere. Adding the sliding doors only cost around $10, 7 for glass, and 4 for the track. It is a nice cheap investment that I would recommend. However you def will want to use a polyurethane sealant for the entire inside cus the top will mold if u make it a closed chamber.

For a liner, I use a black heavy duty trash bag cut to fit the bottom with a two inch lip around each side.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
Ok i will do that, i seeled it already and havnt had any leaks, so i should pour a ton of water in there? Could i use a kind of paper thing or cardboard to cover it?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
loyolaboy98 said:
Ok i will do that, i seeled it already and havnt had any leaks, so i should pour a ton of water in there? Could i use a kind of paper thing or cardboard to cover it?

If you used a liquid sealant, I would not dump water in there. I used a poly sealant on the bottom originally and it still leaks all over, you need an actual liner, so I would not dump water in to moisten the bedding til you get a liner. Until you get a liner you can slowly add small a,outs of water and mix it in and let the soil absorb it and add more, but if u dump a pitcher in you will have a leak. I would avoid paper and cardboard as a cover, it's a fire hazard and will get soggy and moldy really quick.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Status
Not open for further replies.