Location (City and/or State)
Mexico City
Hi, I’m not really sure if this is normal baby RF behavior but my RF Coconut is VERY inactive and sleeps all day, she is only awake for about 1-2 hours. I currently have a ceramic heat emitter and a night lamp in her enclosure making it very warm, around 70-90, but she still won’t roam around. I give her Vitamin A powder either in her food or water everyday so she won’t get sick, I have to wake her up in order for her eat and she won’t eat if I’m watching.
I am using the ZOO MED moonlight night lamp and a ZOO MED Nano heat emitter, the UV bulb I am using is ZOO MED fluorescent Repti Sun.
Coconut is still inactive with these temperatures and hides all day, it has been about 3 weeks since I had her.
Is this normal baby red foot behavior?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi, I’m not really sure if this is normal baby RF behavior but my RF Coconut is VERY inactive and sleeps all day, she is only awake for about 1-2 hours. I currently have a ceramic heat emitter and a night lamp in her enclosure making it very warm, around 70-90, but she still won’t roam around. I give her Vitamin A powder either in her food or water everyday so she won’t get sick, I have to wake her up in order for her eat and she won’t eat if I’m watching.
I am using the ZOO MED moonlight night lamp and a ZOO MED Nano heat emitter, the UV bulb I am using is ZOO MED fluorescent Repti Sun.
Coconut is still inactive with these temperatures and hides all day, it has been about 3 weeks since I had her.
Is this normal baby red foot behavior?
Perfectly normal behavior for a Hatchling. They spend 95% of their time hiding and sleeping. If you feed at the same time every day eventually in a few weeks your new Tort will learn and come out to eat on it's own at that time.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
-colored lights should not be used for tortoises. They can see both the color and the light.

-your temps should be about 84-86 throughout the entire enclosure, and temps should stay above 80 at night.

Can we see pictures of your enclosure?

Mexico City
06591165-59E8-4447-9C7B-92F8BFA4D4F7.jpeg This is her enclosure, I’m planning to change it out when she gets older and more active to a tortoise table or a bio active enclosure if possible, she’s currently in a tank. When I bought her from the pet store she was in a very dry climate, the temperature was at 90 and humidity at 30%. When I bought her the temperatures in my enclosure were at 70-80 degrees and 70% humidity.

Last edited: