Baby Redfoot, indoor enclosure UVB

JaimeJPC_PR

Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
I have a question regarding an Arcadia T5 D3+ Desert 12%. I have one installed in my RedFoot enclosure, that is about 15 inches high (Following the Arcadia introduction https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/medium-uv-species/) In my current setup I put the light on top of the Exo Terra Large Habitat, that has mesh screen on top. I am somewhat concern about the high of the setup, should I follow dissect rules displayed on the Arcadia website? Any suggestion? The current height is 18 inches from the top mesh screen. Also som few weeks I have to take my baby RedFoot to the vet (for a separate reason the torstoise was shocking and current eat for a while. But it’s already OK and eating as usual. ALOT 🤣) The doctor said that it have Metabolic Bone Disease. This could by cause by bad lighting setup, or do to bad diet. I have been taking more care to it, letting it be in the sun more time. But I cannot have the tortoise in the sun for more than 2 hours. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a question regarding an Arcadia T5 D3+ Desert 12%. I have one installed in my RedFoot enclosure, that is about 15 inches high (Following the Arcadia introduction https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/medium-uv-species/) In my current setup I put the light on top of the Exo Terra Large Habitat, that has mesh screen on top. I am somewhat concern about the high of the setup, should I follow dissect rules displayed on the Arcadia website? Any suggestion? The current height is 18 inches from the top mesh screen. Also som few weeks I have to take my baby RedFoot to the vet (for a separate reason the torstoise was shocking and current eat for a while. But it’s already OK and eating as usual. ALOT 🤣) The doctor said that it have Metabolic Bone Disease. This could by cause by bad lighting setup, or do to bad diet. I have been taking more care to it, letting it be in the sun more time. But I cannot have the tortoise in the sun for more than 2 hours. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
I've only tested Reptisun tubes. Both T5 and T8. Both 5.0 and 10.0.
Not Arcadia.
But I'm confident when a say that a screen top will reduce the UVB output by at least 30%. (Even more for the weaker Reptisun 10.0)
Redfoot aren't super UVB needy. A few hours a week of real, unfiltered sunlight should suffice if you are in doubt. Then you can just concentrate on your heating and a decent daytime light source. Maybe an energy efficient LED?
MBD is caused by wrong diet and lack of UVB. The tort can't process D3 from calcium without a UVB source. The temperature also needs to be around 80f for correct digestion.
80 to 86. Aim for 82-84 as a perfect 24/7 temperature.
Redfoot feel comfortable in the same kind of temperature as us humans. Too low and they get digestion issues. Too warm and they get uncomfortable and can overheat if they can't escape it.
What do you feed?

Last edited: