Baby redfoot lazy lil butterball?

Location (City and/or State)
Huntington Beach, California
So my baby redfoot stays buried all day every day. If i take him outside in the grass he will book it/run like the dickens for (I am assuming shade/cover). I was told this is normal for hatchlings, but I just want to make sure. His habitat is plenty warm 80 (on low end) and 95-100 (on high end.) Is it normal that he never comes out ? I take him out to soak him and feed him and he seems fine, lively and alert, but literally within 3 minutes of being in his enclosure, and it's time for him to burrow!!! Any feedback would be super ;)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hahaha, it's so fun to see them run... Kind of a little lopsided :D
I read hatchlings are more 'cautious' because they are so small, birds and such can pick them off :eek:. HE doesn't know he's safe in the yard!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Mine stayed hidden for about a year. They're located in a low traffic area and were hardly disturbed except for soaks, measurements and when I cleaned the enclosure and fed/watered them. So, they stayed hidden even though there was hardly anything that could scare them.

I'd probably lower the high end temps to around 90F with basking spots at around 92-94F. If your tort keeps gaining weight every month and your husbandry's in check, then I wouldn't worry about the hiding; it's pretty normal.

Lol isn't it funny when they run? he looks like a military man crawling through doing recon hahaha.

When I say "high end" temp, i meant under the basking light. It varies between 90-95 maybe up to 100 tops.

This might be a stupid question, but how do I weigh him? just plop him on my home scale? I didn't even think about weighing him!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Lol isn't it funny when they run? he looks like a military man crawling through doing recon hahaha.

When I say "high end" temp, i meant under the basking light. It varies between 90-95 maybe up to 100 tops.

This might be a stupid question, but how do I weigh him? just plop him on my home scale? I didn't even think about weighing him!

I have one of those scales to weigh food. I put a small cup on it, zero it out and place them on the cup. They flail around with legs in the air, but they can't crawl off and drive you crazy.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
How large is his tank?
It's always a possibility that a small, plain (boring) indoor environment will contribute to an inactive tortoise. If there isn't much to do or space to explore than he could just stay hiding because that's all there is to do.

The only way to know for sure would be to have a very large and stimulating environment. If after a few weeks in a new home you notice more active behavior, then you'll have your answer.
It's a win-win really... ;)

My baby red foot tortoise stays pretty inactive throughout the day too. But you have to remember, just like human babies, they need extra sleep- they're going to be growing a lot soon. I try to wake him up around 1pm [if he hasn't woken up by himself] and I keep him active for a solid 2-3 hours with food, soaking, and exploring. If your baby is eating enough and exercising enough and his home isn't too hot, then you shouldn't need to worry about how much he's sleeping when he's back in his home.

Lindsay,

Where do you let your redfoot explore? I have a big 4x6 box with no substrate in it right now, can i put him in there to explore? If I let him sit on my bed, he tries to eat my blankets lol. And when I put him outside, he runs right for me to hide under my leg now. LOL. Oh by the way, my lil butterball now weighs 3.2452 ounces or 92 grams :)

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Sounds about right for the size. I'd guess your little one is around 5/6 months old. As long as he's eating, you're soaking him, and keeping his temps above 80 you should be fine. They are lazy bums!

Do you have a picture to share of the little one?? :)

Lindsay,

Where do you let your redfoot explore? I have a big 4x6 box with no substrate in it right now, can i put him in there to explore? If I let him sit on my bed, he tries to eat my blankets lol. And when I put him outside, he runs right for me to hide under my leg now. LOL. Oh by the way, my lil butterball now weighs 3.2452 ounces or 92 grams :)

Well I spoil my tort quite a bit. The substrate in his home is sphagnum moss {which is used for terrariums because it can hold so much moister} and i use it because its light but thick enough to allow my tortoise to burrow. Also I always feed him outside his home so that when he is done eating he has the free time to explore my whole dorm room (i keep an eye on him of course because you can't possibly tort-proof everything) but he really likes exploring under the bed. This is for the same reason your tort hides under your leg when he's outside- its because at this size, instinctually, they are still considered prey for other animals so they have to hide, so tight spaces are they're favorite. My best recommendation is try to simulate spaces to hide. it can just be a blanket or dirty clothes wrinkled up on the floor, just experiment- but just putting him in an empty box won't encourage much exercise.

All in all, yes, tortoises are extremely lazy and will sleep 24 hours a day if you let them, but waking them up for a soak, a good meal, and an hour of exercise seems to really help they're appetite and healthy growth rate. (hope this helped!)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My little RF is a year old and about 75 grams. He sleeps inside at night in a closed camber that is 82 degrees and about 88 for humidity. During the day, he has his own semi-secure pen out doors with plants, etc. He eats, does a lap of the place and goes into his hide box and goes back to sleep. It's like clockwork. At least 20 hours a day sleeping. As long as he eats good and has good weight and poo looks normal, you're good.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Dang 75g is tiny for a yearling! All of mine have been about 200g at that age. I have a 5 month old that's 89g right now.