Baby Redfoot question

Status
Not open for further replies.

boil3rr

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I had my little guy for about 5 days now. I think he might have shell rot but he seems to be very inactive. He hides in the cool end of the tort table and doesnt come out much unless i take him out in the morning so he could eat. He does have an appetite but I'm worried that he might be sick since hes not moving around alot. Could it just be his personality?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Remember baby and young tortoises are not going to be running around a lot in the first place for the mere fact ( instinct) they would become easy meals for prey animals. Instead they might cruise out in the am. for a quick warm up …eat, then bunker down till afternoon and cycle starts again with perhaps a meal before bedtime. Tortoises in general are not “ play type” animals , and honest the majority of keepers do not even get to enjoy their tortoises and experiencing how a certain species may act within natural habitats and routines ,with Changes of the year including , light hours, shadows , temps , weather ect. This is very hard to replicate indoors no matter what type of lighting , heating , misting you prefer….and living in a tank to say the least. I myself have a large mature herd who has been together for years now outdoors and there is always the Dom of the group ….
“on patrol” .. and the rest usually go thru out their day as explained above…. All of course on time with normal routines during those times of year. As far as your tort hiding and staying low key has nothing at all to do with shell rot …. If you believe he has some sort of fungus/infection post a pic and sure someone will pip in.
JD~:)

jpdhld

5 Year Member
U got my rf in January and was worried about the same thing! All she did was sleep and only eat when I placed her at her food. She did not perk up till about the end of April, then she started exploring her home and coming out for food, now most days she lets me know when she wants food lol :) but listen to everyone's advise it normal for little ones to sleep plus the move to a new place is stressful. One thing I was told that I did was---- give them a chance to get use to their new home, and be as consistent with feeds as possible they like routine. Your tort will perk up just give it time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.