Baby redfoot wont open eyes!

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
Hi to all!!
Im having some troubles with Hedwig my small one Redfoot. Every morning I need to give her a Bath cause her eyes are shut. She may have something wrong with her eyes cause my others two are ok. And after I give her a soak her eyes opens and stay open all day. Is just after her sleep.
I have a MVB and and a Che for the night.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419856780.090702.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419856794.323576.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419856809.895175.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419856822.475377.jpg

Can some one have some ideas why is this happening to her.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Being that you are using an open-top enclosure, it's possibly a lack of humidity. Even with that humidifier blowing in, it won't stay high enough for red foots. You really should consider covering it.

Delilah1623

I think low humidity is the most common cause. One of yours may just be more sensitive. Also my redfoot didn't like the MVB because it was so bright. I switched to a 18" strip light for UVB and a CHE and he doesn't have that issue anymore.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I've noticed this as well if they sleep in a drier area of the enclosure. You could always mist them in the morning to help her open her eyes. I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the tortoise.

Also a MVB will not cause this. Some people advise against a MVB because they say redfoots don't like bright lighting but a MVB would do nothing more than cause them to hide more often.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I've been using MVB's for years & haven't had any eye issues with any of my tortoises, however maybe something may be in your tortoises eye or because your tort is sleeping in a dry environment, so when your tort wakes up his eyes are irritated & dry. Maybe just keep up with the warm soaks & hopefully this will pass.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
I give her a bath a every morning or just put her in front of the big water dish and she just put her head in the water and then open her eyes. Im making some plans to make a much bigger enclosure for the three Reds. I spray the enclosure two times a day. Also Im removing the MVB on the upgrade to put a T05 tube lamp and a basking lamp on one corner and the che for the night. Also Im making the new enclosure with and upper door to keep it closed.
The Hum is always between 70-85%. At the moment the humidifier it wont do much cause is blowing in to the air and not staying inside. Going to used like a hose os tubing to send it downwards.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Well! Hedwig still wakes up with one or both eyes shut and wont open them until I give her a soak. Is there anythiing that can help her?
Like some eye drops or something.
I improve the humidity levels and the warm and cool side and the wet and dry side and still have this issued.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Try getting some unflavored, uncolored, Cod Liver Oil from the store. Put it in an eyedropper and put one or two drops in her eyes. Sometimes helps. Worth a shot.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Uh-oh...well drops might help but there is clearly something going on which is causing the situation. Is Hedwig eating ok? Maybe lacking something in his diet?

Turtlepete

South Florida
Stojanovski is right, this could be caused by a dietary element. Possibly Vitamin A deficiency? Could you review the diet you provide them, Dobby?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My first thought was humidity, but it seems pretty high to me. My next thought is diet, what is being fed, and how often?

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Well!
I give my three reds a mix diet everyday.
Between greens, spring mix, carrots, kale, peppers, romaine, strawberries, kiwi, banana, mushrooms, and last weekend tuna.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
I take them outside for some fresh morning sun light like 2-3 days a week.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420423039.934818.jpg
I also give them this.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420423139.757972.jpg
This is where they live.
(The water dish is all dirty cause they just took their bath after some snacks!)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420423233.485716.jpg

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Try giving her orange foods like carrot or butternut squash for vitamin a. You can also get vitamin a drops and try those.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
You could also wash her eyes out with a saline solution, you can get a saline solution at the store as contact lens solution. You can also put some saline solution in her nostrils because sometimes when there is something wrong with the eyes the nostrils are affected also and vice versa.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
You could also wash her eyes out with a saline solution, you can get a saline solution at the store as contact lens solution. You can also put some saline solution in her nostrils because sometimes when there is something wrong with the eyes the nostrils are affected also and vice versa.
I did not know that.
Thanks for that info.
I give them carrots but they really dont like it.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I did not know that.
Thanks for that info.
I give them carrots but they really dont like it.

I would definitely try the butternut squash (they sometimes like that more) or keep pushing the carrots because she may have a vit a deficiency and that could be bad. If you can get pumpkin you could try that to.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Maybe try mixing the carrots with their favorite fruit, that might get them to eat it. :)