Baby redfoot wont open eyes!

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I heard also coco coir. The problem here is that tortoise care is not very popular. I can only get somethings from petsmart or petco. The websites they say here that sells this stuff dont ship to Puerto Rico. So I have to improvise.
Im getting a new bag of bark today tu mislx it with the soil to see if can reduce the dust.

That should help, most of the bark I use in my mix ends up rising to the top over time by my once a week mixing the dirt up and throwing seeds in there.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
I will! What types of seeds you put inside?
I used wheatgrass and it grow but died a few weeks later.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I use coco husk,cyprus mulch and sphagnum moss, both hold moist and the moss is an anti fungi material keeping bacteria down.
It's my view that you can have the humidity has high as you want but if the substrate is dry the humidity is cancelled out.
Does she bury in at night? Can you get sphagnum moss for bedding?

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Also to keep the moss damp I lay 1 strand of it from the moss clump into a water dish. This way the moss drinks the water and keeps humidity up and your substrate moist. Obviously you need other dishes for drinking and soaking, because moss is thirsty stuff. If it gets too moist simply take the strand out of the water dish for a few days.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
The three sleeps in different areas everynight. I have two water dishes one small for drinking and a big one for soaking. And the moss could be good for the small one but for Dobby the big one she doesnt like moss

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
When you have used moss before have you soaked it first in clean water for 30 minutes or so, then squeeze excess water out. I usually soak it for 1 hour.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
At first I put it in water alone and use it. And the girls didnt go near the moss. Afterward I mix it with cypress mulch and nothing. Remove the moss and everything went good.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I will! What types of seeds you put inside?
I used wheatgrass and it grow but died a few weeks later.

I get a big bag of seeds that don't have any coating from my nearby feed store. The seeds in the mix contain a variety of different weeds and such. I'll see if I can find a link to what exact brand it is.

I put them in there and the tortoises like to eat the sprouts, sprouts are good for them! :D

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
I have never seen that product here in Puerto Rico. I will check who can ship here. Thanks a Lot!!!

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Well an update on Hedwig.
I have keep spraying the soil and she havent have her eyes shut. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420732941.362895.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
DobbyRed. Put some potting soil on top of your mulch. You can wet the mulch and the top soil will remain dry. There is also virtually no dust. This way you can maintain humidity and nothing will stay wet.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
The other side of the habitat is top soil. But I have to keep spraying it cause apparently the type of soil Im using create a lot of dust and was messing with their eyes. Also Im running the humidifier more time now to keep the groung moist.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Just remember that red foots get shell rot easy. You want the floor to be like a forest floor. Damp but not soaking wet.

I use a mix of soil, moss and mulch. I add water to my soil once or twice a week. I do it in the corners of my enclosure so I'm not just pouring it all over. I keep a top layer of Mulch over the soil/moss mix. I move the moss to the side, pour some water in the corners, then push the moss back in place. This added water to the dirt without making the top layer wet so they don't get shell rot.

Glad to see she is waking up better.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
Just remember that red foots get shell rot easy. You want the floor to be like a forest floor. Damp but not soaking wet.

I use a mix of soil, moss and mulch. I add water to my soil once or twice a week. I do it in the corners of my enclosure so I'm not just pouring it all over. I keep a top layer of Mulch over the soil/moss mix. I move the moss to the side, pour some water in the corners, then push the moss back in place. This added water to the dirt without making the top layer wet so they don't get shell rot.

Glad to see she is waking up better.

Thanks! Me too!
I only spray water in some parts of the enclosure. The areas where they sleep are always dry that way they dont get shell rot. Also i have a MVB that dry fast the top layer of mulch and have some rocks and natural stones that they like to climb on that are also dry.
Im always checking their plastron for any sings of rot.