baby redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan 02

5 Year Member
Hi, I just bought a baby redfoot tortoise from the turtle shack and it looks good but it seems to sleep most of the time. Is this normal for
a baby redfoot?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Dylan:

Welcome to the forum!!

I don't keep redfoot tortoises, but I can speak generally about baby tortoises...yes, they sleep a lot. Also, babies are prey and stay hidden quite a bit. You shouldn't have too bright a light over the habitat. Shoot us some pictures and we'll be better able to critique your set up and help you better.

Dylan 02

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Dylan:

Welcome to the forum!!

I don't keep redfoot tortoises, but I can speak generally about baby tortoises...yes, they sleep a lot. Also, babies are prey and stay hidden quite a bit. You shouldn't have too bright a light over the habitat. Shoot us some pictures and we'll be better able to critique your set up and help you better.
Thank you.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the hatchling! A baby tort will spend most of the time sleeping and hiding, but it should get up daily to move around and eat. Having a hide near the food will encourage it. You should have hides all over the enclosure so it can go from one to the next and not feel exposed. Redfoots thrive in a darker environment with lots of ground cover. If you aren't seeing activity daily (maybe an hour or so out of the day), then I'd worry about the set up or health. Regardless, it is always a good idea to get a vet check up and fecal test for parasites. Even for a healthy looking captive bred hatchling I would do that--my captive bred hatchling had two parasites when I got him. Looking forward to photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.