Baby res

Status
Not open for further replies.

katie333

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,
I just got a baby red eared slider from a family friend who bought it at a carnival for the kids and decided she couldn't keep it after hearing about the maintenance costs... Since I already have a set up for my 6 month old YBS I took the baby ... As of right now I have it in a separate set up because this baby is tiny ... It's egg tooth just fell off yesterday and I'm assuming it's about 2 weeks old at most... My problem is that it is not eating I tried everything from baby turtle pellets of various brands as well as live shrimp dried shrimp and dried krill and it won't even come close to the food!! Anyone has any ideas ? Also it sleeps maybe 5 times a day I'm assuming it's normal because it's still a baby? ... Other then that its active .... Does anyone have any ideas on how to raise this baby and when can I put it I. The tank with my YBS ???

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well, likely the little one is not in the best of spirits nor health...carnival turtle--likely rough going to this point...I would plan to have the little one in its own tank for at least a few months and have that tank water warm, offer some floating plants for it to hang in and onto along with a basking light and some places to float and hide in....also, if you put some live floating plants in there with the baby it may nibble on the plants....

May we see a pic...I just love these turtle...

katie333

5 Year Member
image-3770147086.png

Will try from my phone

Thanks so much for you help :)

Attachments

• image-747654758.png
    image-747654758.png
    280.3 KB · Views: 31
  • image-3803808118.png
    image-3803808118.png
    516.9 KB · Views: 33

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Adorable is certain....

May I suggest that you do an actual tank set up? I would say a 10 gallon at least but better a 20 gallon, 3/4 way filled with water, water heater (keep water temp at 78 degrees) add a few floating plants so he can hide in as well as doubles as a way for him to float between swimming laps...also provide a basking platform easy for this little one to hang onto and then a basking light/uva/uvb light....and plan for him to be in that tank for awhile until he gets a little bigger and a stronger swimmer...even at this small, they like to swim---as long as they have a way to float for resting such as the floating plants and readily accessible basking spot....also, a turtle this size won't muck up the water really fast, so you can get an easy to handle filter for now...but plan later that this little cutie will produce mass amounts of dirty water and so start saving up for a strong filter....:p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Live food should stimulate it to eat, black worms from the pet store, and or brine shrimp (a favorite of my baby RES). Odds are it is unhealthy, they are shipped in cramped quarters for days if not weeks at a time. living in the filth, lots of disease possibilities.

katie333

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Adorable is certain....

May I suggest that you do an actual tank set up? I would say a 10 gallon at least but better a 20 gallon, 3/4 way filled with water, water heater (keep water temp at 78 degrees) add a few floating plants so he can hide in as well as doubles as a way for him to float between swimming laps...also provide a basking platform easy for this little one to hang onto and then a basking light/uva/uvb light....and plan for him to be in that tank for awhile until he gets a little bigger and a stronger swimmer...even at this small, they like to swim---as long as they have a way to float for resting such as the floating plants and readily accessible basking spot....also, a turtle this size won't muck up the water really fast, so you can get an easy to handle filter for now...but plan later that this little cutie will produce mass amounts of dirty water and so start saving up for a strong filter....:p

Thanks for the advice I have a 40 gallon tank with filter basking platform UVA and UVB lamp as well as a heater but my 6 month old YBS is in it and he's a lot bigger than this baby so I don't want to put them together yet this set up is just temporary until I socialize them plus I'm quarantining this baby from my other one to make sure it's healthy ... In this temporary set up I have a heater and am using UVB/UVA compact lamp just not sure at white size I can actually introduce him to Charlie's tank

dmmj said:
Live food should stimulate it to eat, black worms from the pet store, and or brine shrimp (a favorite of my baby RES). Odds are it is unhealthy, they are shipped in cramped quarters for days if not weeks at a time. living in the filth, lots of disease possibilities.

I tried giving it live shrimp and left it alone for a while to see if it would eat and nothing I just want it to survive it had a terrible experience prior to getting to me it wAs held for days in one of those little plastic containers with a palm tree with cold water and no light or a basking platform ... I will try the worms maybe that will work I hope

This is my setup for my YBS Charlie he's about 2.5-3 inches

Attachments

• image-1400328059.png
    image-1400328059.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • image-3212094095.png
    image-3212094095.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Keep us updated, and good luck. I hope this little one comes through okay. Seems like it's in the right hands.

katie333

5 Year Member
Thanks I hope so too... Tried frozen brine shrimp still not eating but seems to be fine otherwise very active since I moved the UVB lamp closer to his setup

UPDATE!!!!!! After a long day of trials it's finally eating !!!! Brine shrimp I will be trying other frozen food such as Worms thank you everyone for the advice!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.