Baby Rhino is here!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
Hey folks. Hope everyone has had a great Thanksgiving. The sluggishness will wear off soon. Well, Jaden (my son), got his baby sully today. He named it Rhino. He has been so active and eating well. We went to our turnip green garden this morning and got him some fresh turnip greens and some dandelions. He munched them down. Don't worry,I don't believe in putting chemicals on the ground. Jaden wants me to be his voice on here,so,any questions he has ,I will ask. He's shy. What kind of plants are good to grow in a closed chamber? I saw that ferns are good.If this is true,would Maidenhair ferns be ok? And what other things? I told you guys I would post pics and I will, but after a long day, I ask you to wait one more day. I promise, I will post tomorrow. One more question. I want Jaden to keep a daily log of the activities,feeding,soaks,weight and temp and humidity. What size scale would be a good one as far as maximum grams?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ya:D Glad your helping Jaden. Please let him know, that this is the best place for shy people. Know one knows who you are:D. Anyway, Boston fern can be fed, I don't no of any others. You can check out the tortoisetable.org for edible and non edible plants. I grew clover and various weed mix in my indoor enclosure right in the coconut coir. Doesn't grow as well as it probably would outside, but not bad.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
Great, I will check out that site. I think ferns are the way we want to go though. We'll see. Let me go to that site.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
Well, I think I'm going to wait on the greenery for the enclosure. I will plant some treats next spring outside. I think I'm going to purchase some seed mix from sulcatafood.com and start it indoors in pots. I want him/her to be as healthy as can be. I will research to see what grasses are typical from where they originate. My outlook is if you feed them what they eat in Africa,they should thrive. I'm I correct at thinking this way?

mattgrizzlybear said:
Congrats on the new sully!

Thank you so much!!!!

After researching, it appears that the main grasses that grow in Northern Africa are Eragrostis, Panicum and Aristida. They seem to grow like Pampas grass. There are seeds available online as well.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I have the sulcatafood.com seed and its pretty good. My leopard wont let the clover grow at all, he just mows it down so ive been growing it in different pots outside and place it in his cage when its grown up enough to eat. No need in letting the clover get taller than 4" or so because ive noticed that the stalks tend to go untouched. The grasses that come in the mix dont get touched but different tortoises prefer different stuff so yours might love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.